Eliminate vent windows?

-

the_engineers

Reaction score
I have a '72 Swinger and would like to get rid of the vent, or wing, windows. My understanding is that Demon/Duster doors will fit and they do not have vents, so is it possible to swap doors or even just glass? Will it seal at the quarter windows?

Ahh, crap. Just did some more searching to realize that 73-74 don't have the vent windows. Anybody have any later doors for sale?

Im confused on what you are actually wanting?, one post says you want to get rid of your wing windows and then in your next post you say that the later duster/dart sport doesnt have wing windows....
I thought thats what you wanted, no wing windows

Duster/Demon/Dart Sport and Dart door shells are the same. But Duster/Demon windows will NOT fit a Dart, the window is a completely different shape.

You also can't just swap in the later glass. The later model glass without the wing vents also uses different regulators and hardware, and it mounts differently. The easiest thing to do would be to find a complete set of '73-'76 Dart doors and just swap them. Your other alternative would be to use your doors, but swap in the windows and all of the regulator hardware from a later car. The only thing about doing that is you might run into interference issues with the door locking hardware, because the later model doors moved inside door handles. That might have been because of the changes to the windows and regulators. Or maybe not, but the inside handles definitely moved in '73. Also, the later doors had the plastic interior panels on the top, so you might not have access to the parts of the later regulator to get everything installed into an earlier door.

Why everyone wants to get rid of their wing vents I don't know. Maybe not the best looking option, but man are they great to use.

Will not work. Different windshield, different A pillar. Wouldn't line up at rear.
Best to forget you even thought of it and move on. Poly carbonate sheet is your
easiest option if you must. Unbreakable. Commonly used in race cars that have
been lightened extensively. Not really a good product to replace automotive glass.
Scratches very easy especially if made to go up and down. And won't stay to shape in a frameless door application. At least not enough to have any kind of a working seal.
But it is done, you wouldn't be the first.
If this is to be a street car that you use you would regret the installation.
Now if you wanted to do it right with tempered safety glass you would have to have a pattern
and send it out to get custom glass made. I would guess and this is a guess around 300.00
up per piece if you could find a place that would even mess with it. They like to do large volume
runs

Will not work. Different windshield, different A pillar. Wouldn't line up at rear.
Best to forget you even thought of it and move on. Poly carbonate sheet is your
easiest option if you must. Unbreakable. Commonly used in race cars that have
been lightened extensively. Not really a good product to replace automotive glass.
Scratches very easy especially if made to go up and down. And won't stay to shape in a frameless door application. At least not enough to have any kind of a working seal.
But it is done, you wouldn't be the first.
If this is to be a street car that you use you would regret the installation.
Now if you wanted to do it right with tempered safety glass you would have to have a pattern
and send it out to get custom glass made. I would guess and this is a guess around 300.00
up per piece if you could find a place that would even mess with it. They like to do large volume
runs

73-76 Dart's have exactly the same windshield and A-pillar as 70-72 Darts. For that matter, they're the same as 67-70 Darts. Swapping doors with a 73-76 Dart will be a heck of a lot easier than polycarbonate sheets. You just can't use Duster, Demon, or Dart sport windows.

Vent Windows rock, I think if you eliminate them you would regret it, though I know it would cool on my car without them, it gets hot and they are the closest I have to AC.
Plus it's old school and old is good.

73-76 Dart's have exactly the same windshield and A-pillar as 70-72 Darts. For that matter, they're the same as 67-70 Darts. Swapping doors with a 73-76 Dart will be a heck of a lot easier than polycarbonate sheets. You just can't use Duster, Demon, or Dart sport windows.

It could be a direct bolt on swap then. Probably would help to have a doner car to swap everything from. Thanks for correcting me. My newest Mopar is a 69. I thought all the
Darts took the same vent glass with exception of the sports (duster). I did look up a picture
of the newer cars and they do look good without the vent. Wouldn't change my 69 though.

Vent Windows rock, I think if you eliminate them you would regret it, though I know it would cool on my car without them, it gets hot and they are the closest I have to AC.

Couldn't agree more plus make the door glass more stable

Yea I love mine too, like said in an earlier post why do you want to get rid of them, wing windows are great. Wing windows were a big deciding factor on what car I chose

To the OP, it's a shame you're not closer to me. I'd swap you doors even up. I have a 75 that I want to add vent windows to.

It's simply a preference. I like the cleaner lines without the vents. I'm planning on adding aftermarket A/C and I don't smoke, so the windows aren't as much of a necessity.

A38 - if you want to swap, I'd be interested in figuring out the shipping costs. If I buy doors elsewhere, I'll end up paying shipping anyway...

'S one reason I own a 67 and not an eighties 'somethin

This was my reasoning also-----but I have been trying to find replacement frames since my upper pivot broke, seems impossible

Yup, pull them all the way open and the air blows right on you, its a plus when your car don't have AC.

I have a box full of 67-72 door parts that including 2 frames $50

Attachments

• Picture 2415.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture 2414.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 2413.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 68
-
Back