Eliminating the column shifter

-

66 mopar

Reaction score
I have a 66 Valiant with an auto shifter on the column and I am switching to a 4 speed. I want to get rid of the shifter on the column, do I have to switch the whole column out or can I just get the collar and replace that? Or grind off the shifter and patch up the hole?
My 66 Valiant has manual steering, a V-8 with the 904 automatic and a column shifter right now. I am gathering up as many of the parts I need before I make the 4 speed swap. I passed up a chance to get a floor shift column because it was for P/S and I didn't know if I could have just used my manual steering shaft and swapped it into the P/S floor shift column. I know the P/S column has a shorter steering shaft and thought of just swapping out the shafts. That column is no longer available.

Your going to need a manual column. p/s or not doesn't matter you can get an adapter from Flamming River. Collars alone wont interchange, shafts from a p/s to manual steering will interchange if both columns are for floor shift. Cutting off the shifter or removing it wont work cause its the only thing holding the collar from rotating. And then there is the shift tube in the column to deal with. Hopes this helps.

Did my 66 Dart. need a floor shift OR a 65 or earlier columm. Push button shift. Took it apart and reassembled using the appropriate parts. Most difficult part was the wiring for the turn signals. :burnout:MT

OK, so it looks like no easy way except to get a whole floor shift / push button column for manual steering. Didn't really want to use an adapter if I can help it. Was hoping I could swap my steering shaft if I can only find a column for P/S. I'll keep looking don't want to spend too much $$$.
Thanks

OK, so it looks like no easy way except to get a whole floor shift / push button column for manual steering. Didn't really want to use an adapter if I can help it. Was hoping I could swap my steering shaft if I can only find a column for P/S. I'll keep looking don't want to spend too much $$$.
Thanks

If you find a power steering column, you can use your existing manual steering shaft inside the power column, it'll just look like it's sticking out further out the end inside the engine bay.

Alternatively, there's this: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=258519

Late A body. If you take off the shifter handle on early there is nothing to keep it from freewheeling. :burnout:MT

I would think there's a way to fasten the collar to 'something' lol

-
Back