Emergency Brake Cable Question

-

64fish

Reaction score
I am in the process of changing out a 7 1/4 rear end with 9" brakes out of a 64 Barracuda to a 8 3/4 rear end with either 10" or 11" brakes, will my emergency brake cables work for the change out? The original cables are approx. 25" long. If not, can anyone give me advice on a remedy? I am also dealing with the large bolt pattern. :banghead:

I think the cables are longer for 10" drums than 9" drums.

Be careful. Many aftermarket cables have not worked for me. Namely NAPA brake cables. They do not look like the originals.

Original brake cables have metal wrapped conduit, the NAPA repros have plastic covered conduit and strand. The strand plastic coating needs to be stripped back to fit the parking brake lever, and then still doesn't work...

Try going to 'The Right Stuff" their cables look like the originals.

When I replaced the 7.25 in my 71 duster with an 8.75 from a 68 dart the cables fit fine
Just back off the adjuster all the way before you start

If you need a cable you can get one made up at most tractor dealers. It will not look stock but will be fully functional.

When I went from 7 1/4 to 8 3/4 in my 66 the cables worked perfect. So my answer is you can reuse the cables.

If you need a set of 10x 2.5 backing plates and hardware I have one left.

Thank you for all your input and have a Merry Christmas

Do you need a cable?

I have a complete set I'm selling however I have a few cables laying around

-
Back