Emergency brake for 9" Ford

-

44070dart

How the hell did I get this old..
Reaction score
Cousin bought a '68 Dart with a 9" Ford rear end. Looking to put in an emergency brake and was wondering if there is a conversion type cable needed or available. Has disc on rear.

Stock 9" Ford (Versailles) rear discs or aftermarket? If aftermarket, the manufacturer may be able to help out.

I think you are going to have to build it. I have a Versailles axle under my 67 (still apart!!) and did not get the thing adapted. "I think" some of the hardware is missing on mine. SOMEWHERE I found a diagram (drawing) of the original Ford layout/ hardware

(Gets back from the 2TB hard drive.................)

and here is what I found

NOTE THE TEXT AND FOLLOWING is not "mine" I copied this from someplace else

================================================================================

Center mount E-brake details

Versailles Rearends

1983 Ford Bronco Brakes & Hubs pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

The three items I used are made by Lokar:
Parking Brake Handle: EHB-7000F
Parking Brake Boot: 70EHBF
Parking Brake Cable Set: EC-80FU

Summit stocks all 3 items.

Lincoln Versailles ran from 1977-1980. All Lincoln Versailles came factory stock with the 9-inch disc brake equipped rear ends. They had Bendix-designed 10½" diameter ventilated rotors.

The "Versailles-style" 9-inch disc brake rear end was first available (optionally) on the '75-'80 Granadas and Monarchs.

A common '65/'66 Mustang 9-inch drum brake rear end weighs 170 lbs. The same width 9-inch drum brake rear end from a '57-'59 Ford big car weighs 194 lbs. A Versailles weighs 215 lbs. --Just as comparison.

The Versailles has the same 43" spring perch centers as the '65-'73 Mustangs. You will have to change out the (round) companion flange on the 3rd member. You will need a conventional 1310 or 1330-series companion flange to replace it with. You will also need the special parking brake cables/brackets with the Versailles to make the parking brakes work.

MOST of the Versailles had single track differentials, but SOME had 2-pinion Traction-Lok differentials, and some had 4-pinion Traction-Lok differentials.

wm9disk7882.jpg

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

061205_095.jpg

061205_094.jpg

061205_091.jpg

On a 56 Ford pickup I swapped a 9" in and later added the Versailles rear disks.

The 56 cable was fine I just had to make a braket to hold the sheathing the needed distance from the lever.

If you do have the Versailles brakes there
Is a tool you will need to screw the piston back into the bore and a Ford procedure to follow. Or you will break parts or not be able to put new pads on.

Last edited:
-
Back