Emergency brake handle bracket pin under the dash

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I noticed when I put the emergency brake on, the pin that holds the bracket on was part way out. I pushed the pin back in though the bracket. What goes on the end of the pin to keep it from sliding out? This is on my 73 Scamp.

It is just an interference fit, after 50 years it was bound to move a bit. When I had my street cars, I was always tapping the pin back in.

I seem to recall that the pin sticks out on one side more than the other end, there is a spring the hooks on to it and helps return the handle to vertical

This is a roll pin. It is spring loaded in the hole. It does not move. It is common for the factory/people to not install it flush.

Also the hole can become oblonged from a few million twists. The roll pin when driven in has a tension but it can only go so far. A dab of super glue on either end can help.
Either that or replace the handle.

If you are referring to the bracket that is attached to the under side of the dash, the pin is held in place with one of those toothed washers that can only be pushed on one way.

Internet pic for illustration
1702050983736.jpeg

If you are referring to the bracket that is attached to the under side of the dash
This is a good example of a photo is worth a thousand words

@340Dart how about a photo of what you are talking about, or at least markup a photo from the internet.

I count 5 pins on the mechanism

Call out your pin by the color

Screenshot_20231208-092815.png

Car is in storage so I couldn't get a picture
But you can do what @CFD244 and I did.

My bet is with a photo your question would have been answered in 2 posts at the most.

I'm not being a jerk but the more info visual and verbal the quicker the answers will come

-
Back