EMERGENCY INFO NEEDED - 3 speed manual from 67 Dart

-

YoungBlood

Jolt the Squares
Reaction score
I found a 3 speed manual from a 67 Dart /6 car for sale right near me for super cheap.

I am going to look at very soon (like, an hour). So I need some questions answered as fast as possible:

What would be the model number? (4 speed is A833, 3 speed is ???)

How much can they handle?

Mild 360 power possible?

I know some 383 cars had them back in the day, but I am not sure if thats the same tranny?

Worth my time? I want a manual but 4 speed prices are high and this is super cheap, if not I can use this in my other hot rod later on.

Thanks for your help in advance. I am going to start googling while I hear back from some of you, but google doesn't give testimonials.

a slant 6 tranny auto or manual will not bolt up to a v-8. The bellhousings are not the same. You need one from a v-8.

The bell housing thing is obvious, yeah I will need a v8 one, but power-wise, are these decent?

I'm no expert on them, but they put them behind 340s. I used to know the model number, but I can't think of it right now.

Good info. Thank you. If I get the one with the 3.22 first gear, hell yeah.

Does anyone know if I have to have a 3 speed manual shifter, or if a 4 speed can be modified to work?

Thanks,
Tyson

I think they're different. I see them on eBay from time to time. I doubt they're too difficult to come by. If I remember correctly, the 3 speed uses two levers, and the 4-speed uses three.

I'm picking it up tonight. No time last night. I'm snagging it for $25 :toothy10:

Regardless, its chump-change. If I don't use it, oh well, I can likely make my $25 back at some point. I am looking for something temporary. What this will allow me to do is buy the pedals, column, Z bar, clutch fork, bellhousing and be able to drive it while I save for a Tremec or something, without forking over hundreds of dollars for a used 4 speed, just to likely put in a 5 speed later.

I'm drawing on info thats stored in books I've yet to unpack, so I may be wrong on some of it.... So, if I recall correctly....

The two 3spds that were used most were the A250 and A230. The parts aren't all interchangable, since the helical cut on the gears was different angle from one to the other. The A250 was the stronger of the two, but neither was particularly V8 material. They will both bolt to the proper bell housing, if the correct input shaft support is used. The main difference is the diameter of the flange that centers the trans on the bellhousing. The shifters are different from 3spd to 4spd, one has two levers, the other has three.

I picked up the 3 speed last night. I need to call the guy back, as I spaced asking him if the slant in the 67 Dart he had was a 170 or 225 (I hoping it was a 225). I have to run the numbers, but if the 3 speed was the factory trans for the car, then it would be an A-903 if the auto hobby digest link above is correct.

I believe this tranny isn't synchro'd.

I found a Hurst shifter that will work. Summit sells a universal 3 speed shifter that you have to customize your linkage to fit your application. Its $135, and by universal it will work for Chrysler/Chevy/Ford 3 speeds, but you do the linkage fitment yourself.

I too am curious if the 3 speed can accept a 4 speed bellhousing.

I would much rather have to buy one bellhousing, rather than track down a V8 one for the 3 speed, then have to buy another when I get a better tranny.

will the 3 speed tranny bolt up to a 4 speed housing?

I can tell you this, about twenty years ago, I pulled the A250 out of my Dad's 75 D100 and swapped in the A833 OD trans w/ cast iron case that they had put in the trucks. Bell housing remained the same. Beyond that, from what I've read and seen done, its strictly an issue of the input shaft support being the correct diameter to fit the bellhousing. Having said that, things may be different than I've seen.

-
Back