Engine assembly lube

-
^^^^^I’ve used their grease/paste on a cam from them a few years ago. Different than any other “cam lube” I’ve seen. Very sticky slick stuff, cam broke in fine.

First engine I assembled, back in Reagans first term, I used a 50-50 mix of STP and 10w40 Valvoline. That's what my dad had been using since the 50's, I was broke and he was writing the checks, so I did as I was told. Worked just fine. Now days I like the "bats blood" like Permatex Ultra-slick or better yet Torco MPZ, which comes in a handy spray can. I've also used the Lubriplate white grease engine assembly lube, which is great if the engine won't be started for a period of time after assembly. For flat tappet cams, I prefer a moly EP type grease, which is what the cam grinders supply, and for good reason. It will stay on the lobes until it's actually washed off by hot oil. Regular engine oil is better than nothing, and probably just fine if the engine will be started soon after assemby, or primed just before first start. Just don't assemble anything dry.

First engine I assembled, back in Reagans first term, I used a 50-50 mix of STP and 10w40 Valvoline. That's what my dad had been using since the 50's, I was broke and he was writing the checks, so I did as I was told. Worked just fine. Now days I like the "bats blood" like Permatex Ultra-slick or better yet Torco MPZ, which comes in a handy spray can. I've also used the Lubriplate white grease engine assembly lube, which is great if the engine won't be started for a period of time after assembly. For flat tappet cams, I prefer a moly EP type grease, which is what the cam grinders supply, and for good reason. It will stay on the lobes until it's actually washed off by hot oil. Regular engine oil is better than nothing, and probably just fine if the engine will be started soon after assemby, or primed just before first start. Just don't assemble anything dry.
Ok Nice ..I have to take my springs off because they dual springs, an I can't break the cam in with dual springs from what I've looked up

I
Ok Nice ..I have to take my springs off because they dual springs, an I can't break the cam in with dual springs from what I've looked up
didnt read all these posts , but I used 40 and 50 weight quaker state , or valvoline for 14 yrs in a hemi , worked great too ...

Many, many years ago when I worked for GMC Truck & Coach, GM had their own assembly lube that came with their cams. I have used STP and many other products including good old 30 weight, when building engines. I never had any problems with any of them. When I installed the Comp Cam in my Barracuda, I used their cam lube. I never used grease. Grease is grease, not engine lube. grease will melt at normal engine temps and, like has been already mentioned, will collect at the bottom of the pan and collect any dirt that possibly could somehow enter the engine.

-
Back