• Match the Paint

Votes: 72 87.8%
  • Flat Black

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Black

Votes: 7 8.5%

• Total voters
-
Remember that GM and Fords were mostly full frame cars. The fenders, inner fenders and radiator (core) supports) were all bolted on and not a welded on part of the car. That is why they were painted black when the parts were made.

I like the way Mopar painted the engine compartment. To me it's brighter and cleaner looking. I would think if this is any sort of restoration, you'd want to go that route.

My alternate has always been a light to medium gloss gray, as I can see leaks, or dirt. Flat paint gets looking dirty from oil, coolant and dust;at least to my eye.

Someone said GM painted their engine compartments flat black, but on my old Chevy, it is only the inner fenders and radiator frame (more a satin rather than flat), which are separate parts, unlike the unibody. The firewall, fenders, and hood are body color.

But on the other hand it's your car so you can do just as you like.
My '66 Dart is white, and the former owner painted the engine compartment white over the original paint, but he did it with a brush, with what looks like house paint...it has a hint of yellow, and is dead flat. He might have done it to clean up the compartment, from battery and brake fluid leaks, but anywhere it gets grease or oil it stains big time. I have the engine out now, and pressure washed the compartment, and plan on repainting it with a gloss. Probably the original white in an enamel...maybe gray.

the two tone sounds ok,black sounds ok,and body color sounds ok,theres my vote,heres mine I did in body color,

small duster oo28.JPG

engine compartment 0005-2.JPG

I wanted to paint the engine bay before I take it to get painted, but they dont make the color I want in spray cans. I was going to take all the old stuff off and then primer and paint, but if I cant find the color I want. I will just go black because If I wanted a original car I would keep it Original. I want something that will look good on the outside and something were the motor looks really nice. To put more attention on the motor

but if they make V2 hemi orange in spray cans LET ME KNOW!!!

A good paint supplier should be able to mix up any color you want in a spray can.

Good luck...You have lots of choices to make it your own.

I've done them both ways. I understand your dilemna. That being said, to me, body color looks 1000000x's better. I 've also done several body color with the engine still in the car. It'll give you some cuts and scrapes while scuffing, but it is worth it. I' venever used spray bobms of mixed body color but I can tell you it takes about a quart of regular paint to do it. Since you are talking about Yellow or Hemi Orange, just get a quart of single stage urethane and shoot it. Also, don't worry too much about runs - the factory sure didn't.

Whatever you are going to spray be sure the engine bay is really CLEAN and well sanded before you start spraying. Otherwise it will peel and look like that photo of the purple engine bay with red paint showing where it did not stick. I used a engine steamer instead of a pressure washer because mine was soooo greasy. Comet and a red scotch brite pad gets in all those corners. Be sure to rinse the comet/cleaner completely off before it dries. Any bare metal spots need an acid etch primer which you can get in spray can form. I am not a big fan of spray cans for the color esp if it's a metallic color you are using. Rattle cans are ok for solid colors but if the car is worth pulling the engine to do the work you may as well do a top notch job.

Clean the engine bay good, Sand it down with 320, Lay down a coat of Epoxy primer reduced as a sealer then lay your color over that.

You can do it with a quart of primer and a quart of color. You should be able to buy the paint and primer for under $200.

The problem with off the shelf rattle cans is there's very little pigment/paint in them. 90 +% vehicle and propellent 10% or less paint.
Appliance exopy is a good example. There is more paint inside thus its a larger can. Still about the same ratio.

Clean the engine bay good, Sand it down with 320, Lay down a coat of Epoxy primer reduced as a sealer then lay your color over that.

You can do it with a quart of primer and a quart of color. You should be able to buy the paint and primer for under $200.

ehhh thats alot....I rather paint it black and spend that on the motor, but I primered it already and It only took 2 cans, So I think Ill Stick with spray paint and just tape everyhting off well.

ehhh thats alot....I rather paint it black and spend that on the motor, but I primered it already and It only took 2 cans, So I think Ill Stick with spray paint and just tape everyhting off well.

Still in the box huh?

Remember when it comes to building fine muscle cars it's the little things that mean the most.

If I dont like the way it comes out, Ill have i painted when the whole thing is also

-
Back