engine break in

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
i know how to break the cam in, but how do i break the motor in so the rings seat???
doesnt it matter on what rings you have or what do i do?

generally, i take the first 500 miles real easy. nothing over 1/3 throttle, or 3000 rpm. after that, ill go nothing over 2/3 throttle and occasional blips to 4200. after 1000, crack it open and have fun.
change oil after break in, 100, 200, 500, 750, 1000. after 2000, switch to synthetic. always change the filter as well.

hope that helps. its a PITA, but it works for me.

Michael

Hold the throotle wide open and dup some sand down it. That should brake it in real good.

PS, weres my friends pistons you sold him ?

I broke my stroker in running it down the 1/4 mile at e-town..

One thing I do know, idling doesn't do a fresh engine any good...Take it out and work it, build some cylinder pressure.

adam i don't know what you got going with dusterboy but i bought a intake from him on here and recived it with in a week, Hope ya get your parts, I take it easy on my new motors for 500 miles i change oil as soon as the cams broke in then again at 500 miles highway driving is the best way to get the miles on motor

i know how to break the cam in, but how do i break the motor in so the rings seat???
doesnt it matter on what rings you have or what do i do?

I put brand new teflon coated forged pistons in my 340. The instruction sheet for the rings told me to put it in 4th, slow down till 20MPH so its kinda bogged down and give it full throttle till 45MPH. Really you just want a lot of load on the motor but dont beat on it. Its says to do this about 10 times and the rings should be broken in. The motor now has 1600 miles on it and it runs awsome!!! Typically motors take a 500 mile easy break in time.

Kyle

If you built your engine with moly coated rings the rings are seated as soon as you start the engine. If they aren't then the wrong finish was put on the bores when the engine was machined and it will take quite a bit of time for them to seat, like several thousand miles. If that is the case you also have lost the benefit of the moly coating because the seating process has worn it off.

Taking it easy for a few hundred miles but still varying the rpms will wear in timing gears, the oil pump drive gear and give you a chance to make sure everything is tight and there are no unusual noises. After that it's ready to go.

adam i don't know what you got going with dusterboy but i bought a intake from him on here and recived it with in a week, Hope ya get your parts, I take it easy on my new motors for 500 miles i change oil as soon as the cams broke in then again at 500 miles highway driving is the best way to get the miles on motor

Was it an AirGap by any chance?

Drive it like you stole it.

I like the sand idea. Where's the post of that Honda guy that did that? That always makes me chuckle.

If you used cam lube, run at 2000 rpm with the petcock open and a garden hose slow running in radiator. After 20 minutes drain oil and water. new filter, antifreeze and Run like a normal car.

debby and chickens 2.JPG

Moly rings should seat with in minutes, The cam needs 20 minutes at 2500rpms unless its a roller. After that start beating it. Parts dont get stronger with use.

If the engine goes on the dyno first you dont need to worry about it.

Moly rings should seat with in minutes, The cam needs 20 minutes at 2500rpms unless its a roller. After that start beating it. Parts dont get stronger with use.

If the engine goes on the dyno first you dont need to worry about it.

I agree with this. The old 500 mile deal was because machining tolerances were horrible back in the day. I will go out on the freeway and do the 40 mph in high gear routine.

Lots of my cars got the cam broken in, oil changed, and a 7000 rpm burnout as first duty. Roller cams didn't get 5 minutes of run time before getting hammered on.

but when you send a tracking number that says they have arrived and have been delieverd it means alot...thats why they make tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back