Engine Builder

-

darc1722

Reaction score
Looking for an honest mopar engine builder in the Chicago area, any recommendations. Let me know if you had a good experience with a rebuild on your engine. Thinking about stroking my small block, thanks.

There's Mopar City but they would be a hike for you. They are in Oragon IL. Mopars is all they do. I saw photos of the engine assembly room. Nice separate inclose room for assembly. I talked to a guy who had a local general engine rebuilder do his engine which was not stock and he had problems. He took it to Mopar City to get redone.

I would recommend Opel Engineering they are Streamwood Ill. I had them do all the machine wook to my block,crank and rods (sml blk 360). Probably not the cheapest on the pocket book but really nice work.

+1 on Opel. I doubt anyone knows more about building an engine than Ted.

Opel has built my last 2 Mopar engines. First was a 383 that was rebuilt when the previous owner had it. I needed to keep it because it was numbers matching to my 1965 Satellite convert. It ran but was a slug. Ted opened up, found everything was wrong including the truck pistons that were installed. He did everything to it and got it better than new. I have not had to do anything to the motor but change the oil and drive it like I stole it since.

Second motor is a 360 stroked to 408 going into a 69 Valiant post car. Told Ted what I was looking for (a 340) and he told me not to waste my time and do a stroker motor for the street. I got back a torque monster that should be a great driver....I'll know in a few months when I get the motor in the car.

In both cases I told Ted that I wanted to drop the motor in and go...no cam breaking in, no ring seating, so that meant dyno time. In my opinion it was money well spent. In addition to the dyno information I knew that I wasn't going to be the one to flat spot a cam or toast something.

I will be the first to say that Opel isn't the cheapest, but Ted has knowledge that I could never spend enough to obtain and his abilities are more than first rate. If you have any doubt as to his knowledge or abilities ask him about the technical issues he had to overcome when he built a big block cross ram motor that had a custom made (by him) fuel injection system hidden in the valley and mass air sensors in place of the carbs on the cross rams that still used stock air cleaners so it would look like a stock motor.....

Me and my family use C&S in Butler Wisconsin, worth the drive. The guy who runs it, Mel, built my dad's 340 to 416 stroker motor, which was quite the adventure. Super friendly guy who knows his stuff. I've seen a few of his motors in cars in HOTROD and Carcraft and can personally vouch for his skill. He also built a 700+ horse 360 stroker for my dad and did the cylinder heads on my 318. Super nice guy to work with and decent prices.

-
Back