engine building tips

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
First time at reassembing my own engine - All has been checked for clearances, etc. Read through "How To Rebuild Small Block Mopars", watched an instructional DVD, doesn't look too tough so I'm gonna proceed tonight. Any advice/tips or common mistakes to look out for .... I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere regarding this topic, but I'll take all I can get !

First time at reassembing my own engine - All has been checked for clearances, etc. Read through "How To Rebuild Small Block Mopars", watched an instructional DVD, doesn't look too tough so I'm gonna proceed tonight. Any advice/tips or common mistakes to look out for .... I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere regarding this topic, but I'll take all I can get !

Hey orangecrush I just resently completed a rebuild of only my second motor, the first being a big block and the second a small block. I used the same book you are using for the small block and had no issues at all. Just follow there plan and you will be just fine

Thanks - seems pretty straightforward, take my time, etc. Only thing I can't do is degree my cam ... not sure if this is 100% necessary ? mild 340, lotsa aftermarket internals, bigger cam, etc.

Make sure you mount all of the oil plugs in the block, don´t ask me how I know.

Measure, measure and measure and compare the result with your book.
I´m far from a pro just a happy amateur,just my 2c
I learned a lot thrue this and the Cuda-Challenger site, still got alot to learn.

Keep it all very clean. If you think you wiped it down enough, do it again... :)

Take your time. If you rush you'll likely forget something.

Maybe have a checklist of things to do for each assembly.

Use arp moly assembly lube and their torque value chart,Moly lube motor oil or whatever you use to assemble ,they all have different drag coefficent therefore different torque values.arp has a chart online.

Buy a preoiling tool.

Only turn the engine over once or twice by hand while preoiling to make sure the oil passages for both sides are primed and so you dont wipe off all the prelube.

Change the oil after cam break in. Check for metal filings. If you find any,rip it apart and look for the problem.

Also doing things like filling the fuel bowls and static timing the motor as best you can so the motor starts right up and you dont wipe all the assembly lube off the cam. prime it with the lash set too so the lifters are pumped up and they dont do the old tap dance on the cams lobes and flatten a couple. make sure all your oil galley plugs are in place like the one under the rear main cap.

Measure the cam centerline. Its a basic deal in building any motor. Doesnt matter if its mild or wild. Ive had mis-marked timing marks on the crank and cam gears, then you scratch your head and wonder - damn what did i miss.

-
Back