engine cast date info

-
Reaction score
I have a 1968 383 auto GTS.
The car was made on Nov 10th.
What date range should the engine cast date be?
Was the 383 engines in GTS's HP or non HP engines?
Any information would be helpful
Thank you

Under normal condition the block can be 2-3 months before the build of the car,NORMALLY.I have seen blocks cast as late as a month or weeks before the build of the car,mrmopartech

From what I have seen, the more "garden variety" the car is, the closer the date will be.

They were building a butt load of slant and 318 cars so engine inventory was being used quickly and dates will be closer.

Thank you for your help. The 383 GTS cars seem to have been HP engines from some information I found. The cast date range for the engines seems to be a fairly wide range. The 383 GTS was a performance model of sorts and the range could be many months. I am still open to something definitive. Maybe it is not a straight forward answer that is actually correct IE... wide range of months.

I have a 1968 383 auto GTS.
The car was made on Nov 10th.
What date range should the engine cast date be?
Was the 383 engines in GTS's HP or non HP engines?
Any information would be helpful
Thank you
Can I assume Nov 10th 1967, then. A body 383 engines weren't cast way back in the past because they were unique to A bodies, and because of low production. so the cast date will be likely closer to the month of production, and year.. Don't worry, your lucky to have an A body big block. I did read where some early 68's didn' t get the VIN# stamped on engines until Jan 68. I don't know if that is true. my 68' GTS 383 is not stamped HP, but has the correct VIN# on the block and transmission. Mine was cast 11-30-67,and stamped as built on 2-11- 68. The actual assembly range can be a few days to week . However, These cars are so rare, the most Important thing is that the engine is the A body 383 engine. they are different than a normal 383 in a B or C body. To verify, Look on the driver side behind the accelerator linkage and see if there are six digits on the lip of the block.Then there should be the same numbers on the transmission lip.If all else fails, look for the motor mount driver side, and there should be only one ear for the bracket. Very Obvious!
Then be happy!

Oldmopardude:
Thank you for your information. I believe the info is solid. My 383 GTS has a transmission that is original to the car but it is now running a built 440. I wanted to find a 383 with a fairly good casting date match. Your information will be very helpful. From your info the engine should be an A body 383 cast about 2 1/2 months before the car was built, roughly.
Thank you
BTW I have a 68 340 4 speed GTS and a 68 383 Auto GTS. They are not perfect but they are both great cars to have.

My 68 Barracuda has a build date of November 7, 1967. I have the original 383 engine which I am certain was cast in 1965, but definitely no later than 1966. It has an assembly date of October 23, 1967.

Craig

Craigerlitz is right,and I hope I didn't mislead anyone, as 1967 and many 68's had casting dates of 1965-66. And It is true that early Chryslers blocks were made that way, long before a 383 dart was planned. The Important thing is is the build date on the block and the car are close. Further, Chrysler began to run out of blocks due higher than expected due to demand, so more blocks were made. The main thing is you have the right block and close build date. There are others out there that try to grind down the mount in order to look original. I myself am always hunting for 65-66 383 Chrysler parts car. Just owning an A body 383 is a lucky place to be. Mine is coming out of the paint shop soon, and I will post it .JJ1 Gold/ Tan Interior!

-
Back