Engine Choices: What interests you the most?

What is the best Engine option for a 71 Swinger Street / Strip Application?

• 408 Stroker, supercharged

Votes: 61 34.3%
  • Modern HEMI swap, EFI or Carb

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • High Performance 440

Votes: 43 24.2%
  • Other Recommendation?

Votes: 27 15.2%

• Total voters
-
410 with twin turbos. If done right could be around same price as supercharger.

I do like that idea! Perhaps one of resident FABO'ers can show him how his is getting done?

I do like that idea! Perhaps one of resident FABO'ers can show him how his is getting done?

I would contact SD turbo I believe it is for parts, but use shorty manifolds and weld own piping. MADDART was going full out with dual water to air intercoolers etc like some "STREET OUTLAWS" setup but there are plenty of people running a single 88mm without an exotic setup. Or even two medium turbos like a import would.

OH YEA BRO! His set up is indeed a "MAD" set up!

Here is a question,
what does a small block totally geared and cammed for low end torque....feel like?
I know what they feel like when revved to 4-5K to make power.
I know what they feel like with mild low end torque.

I am setting up my small block with a whiplash cam, and I imagine that it will pull hard right away, like a Diesel, but never really go real fast past about 70 - 90mph.
Am I crazy for thinking this? I really don't know what to expect, and numbers mean little if you have never experienced them.

Thnaks

I would like to see a complete package set with a SRT 392 EFI in the A Body

This is something that I have been thinking about

Make it really street friendly and nasty at the drag strip

Buddy's 2011 SRT 392 run 12.8 from the factory and is right at 12.0 last time we talked

The Dart would be several hundred pounds lighter, get that baby to hook up you would have a 20 + mpg car that would run in the 11s

Oh make the cruise and AC work also

This and a 6 or 7 Speed manual for it :twisted:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpDSvdLRODo"]NEW 2500 HP CAD Billet Block 572 NRE HEMI. Mirror Image Turbos. Nelson Racing. NRE TV Episode 173 - YouTube[/ame]

All great info guys, other than a little drama on the side.... I feel like I have some good advice on here. Now it's time to figure out what is actually feasible!

Thanks.

Wait! we still have more ideas! I would like to see a modern hemi in an A body using the stock crossmember, with power steering( borgeson), and an overdrive trans swap that is well thought out, and doesn't require cutting up the car.

Wait! we still have more ideas! I would like to see a modern hemi in an A body using the stock crossmember, with power steering( borgeson), and an overdrive trans swap that is well thought out, and doesn't require cutting up the car.

Good luck with that part of it. Know that some folks have some serious issues with this but I don't find any Mopar motor very appealing, other than the 2g HEMI. They came from the factory with small blocks....nothing very different about that. While factory big block cars are rare, folks have been swapping them in forever. The new HEMI, just not a fan of it. Seen some folks talking about forced induction...With a small block, if you choose to believe what a lot of folks say, an aftermarket block is in order to avoid a disaster. Which just drives the $$ end of it thru the roof....What I would have voted for is not listed so.....but for those of us who do not have the near bottomless pockets it would take to build a hard charging forced induction car the engine choice is pretty obvious...No doubt some of the diehard, chest thumping Mopar folks are going to tear me apart for saying this.....but some of us live in reality...

It's Mopar, it's a muscle car engine, it's unique & yes it's a hemi - Aussie six cylinder Hemi
http://bringatrailer.com/2010/10/16/cylinders-not-carbs-aussie-1971-dodge-charger-hemi-6-pack/
And they were in A-bodies! There was even a factory package with the tree Weber carbs.

I know there are guys down under that are working on them.

A stroker with some sort of blower or just a stroker with high compression ratio & cool Webers should do it.
A Prowler rear transaxle would move trans to the back & give more room in the tunnel area.

Or if you want to be "green" a stroker 5.9 Magnum with Viper catalysts and running on propane would be considered a zero emissions vehicle.

So whatcha thinking Ink?

3G HEMI blown/turbo'd is the right way? What does one go for in the scrap yard?

Wanna be really different, makes gobs of power and yet get decent mileage? swap in a tuned up 12 valve cummins..............................................Yeah yeah yeah, thing only weighs 1100+ lbs.....

In all seriousness, I vote 400 with a 440 crank, total cubes 451 inches, aluminum heads, intake, water pump and headers and you're pretty much down to stock small block weight so the balance is pretty good. You can do the same thing to a 440, which i what I'm doing but you're weight 50ish lbs more than the 400. block.

Wanna be really different, makes gobs of power and yet get decent mileage? swap in a tuned up 12 valve cummins..............................................Yeah yeah yeah, thing only weighs 1100+ lbs.....

In all seriousness, I vote 400 with a 440 crank, total cubes 451 inches, aluminum heads, intake, water pump and headers and you're pretty much down to stock small block weight so the balance is pretty good. You can do the same thing to a 440, which i what I'm doing but you're weight 50ish lbs more than the 400. block.

well with the big new bars it might hold up a 12 or 24 valve.

I voted 440,but take a 400 block and stuff a 4.300 crank in it.Should get 517 cubes at 0.030 over.All aluminum top end,water pump and housing should get to cast small block weight.Pistons for that motor with a 7 inch rod weigh in at 634 grams.You can get 1.35 HP per cubic inch pretty easy and will have right around 700 HP in a reliable pump gas combo with less headache than trying to plumb your own turbo set up for a small block.
If you do decide to go with a small block try to find an old 318 "X" block.They can go to a 4.125 bore and are much stronger than a factory block.4.125 bore with a 4.00 crank will get you 427 cubes and a 4.125 bore and a 4.125 crank will get you 441 cubes.And all from a small block.

For me, keeping the original engine reliable & safe no matter what the car started life with.

Don't discount the 383, with the right cam/intake/exhaust ya get big block torque with an engine that revs out like a small block. Ask me how I know. Now if you want to go for the throat then a 400 stroked to 452 and hang on to your gonads. Both engines fit under the hood of your A body a little easier than a 440.

Terry

Magnum based 408 BUT naturally aspirated. Not a spec of chrome, paint it ALL blue, intake, heads, sheet metal valve covers and all. Keep it looking totally grandma on the outside, something like ivory paint, green bench interior, stock front wheels and adapter rings to mount 14" full hubcaps on 15 x 10 rear wheels in mini-tubs.

Something I haven't already seen done a hundred times.

That eliminates 3 out of 4 of your options, but I realize that building something unusual wouldn't provide enough sponsors to make it economically feasible for a TV show budget.

Sorry, just tired of seeing the same old thing (or a variation of that) over and over.

-
Back