Engine Coatings?

-

n00blike

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these?
Some clam to reduce friction and temps.

What coatings...inside the block(valley area), rods, cranks, pistons? The coatings for the rods and cranks are expensive plus the cost of shipping the part back and forth. There is not much to gain unless you spin past 7000rpm. The lifter valley and such serves two purposes as far as I know....one is to aid in oil drain back to the pan and the second is to seal up any loose or almost loose sand from the casting before it finds it's way into the oil.

Piston coating are suppose to do wonders and even the factory does it on their engines but all the guys I know(including me) don't do it. Mopars have great rod angles and tend to put less load on the skirts but with alot of people running 4inch cranks and killing the rod angle it might be worth the cost. Just my two cents.

the best ones are not for friction reduction, but heat retention or to deter heat transfer. You can combine these with other treatments and really get good measurable results. You want to keep th heat out of the intake ports, out of the intake itself, out of the exh valve and port, away from the piston dome, and out of the valve springs. You can also cryo treat the block, crank, rods,and heads to help make them stronger. They really do work. And they really do cost...lol.

As moper said, the cryo treatment really does seem to have some merit, but is hardly economically feasible for most of us. Probably considered a classic case of overkill in all but the most extreme usage situation.

What great tech advice guys!!! Couldn't have summed it up any better.

I've had a few people ask me about coating engine internals, and I've already checked into the materials and equipment required. If there's enough interest, I'll start doing this too. (My regular cosmetic powder supplier makes some of the best thermal coatings out there.)

-
Back