Engine Combo

-

fastmopar

fastmopar06
Reaction score
Just cause I'd like to hear your opinion....

And find out if anyone else has this combo......

318 from a 69 Dart, bored .020 over, with R & R'd 360 heads, Edelbrock aluminum 4bbl intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Performer 4bbl carb. Unfortunately stock headers for now. A/C delete and fan delete.

Let me know what you think.:toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

fastmopar

"318 from a 69 Dart, bored .020 over, with R & R'd 360 heads, Edelbrock aluminum 4bbl intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Performer 4bbl carb. Unfortunately stock headers for now. A/C delete and fan delete"

A 69' 318 should have had around 9:1 CR with the factory heads...so that'll be hard to guesstimate what your new CR will be with bigger chamber heads and possible valve reliefed pistons.

I would say get some 302' casting 318 heads, and a XE268 cam, a Edelbrock Performer spread bore intake, and a Holley 650 Spread Bore carb,.....I assume you are running an Electric Fan, so you theoretically would have around 275-290 hp at the back wheels....and it would feel down right "Peppy" for a 318....otherwise if you stick with your current "combo" I think it might run, but it would be disappointing....like 200-230 rear wheel horsepower.

There is my .02

Prine is on the right track. The 360 heads will kill your compression unless you get the right pistons.

With KB 399 pistons and 360 heads (71 cc) comp comes to 10.3:1,but you will have open chambers and domed pistons. Not the best combo for todays gas.

KB 167 pistons are flat top and will give you an easy zero zeck. They will work great with the 302 casting or the magnum. The fast burn chambers of either head will allow higher compression ratio's and good quench with pump gas.

The 302's will need porting to make good power. The magnums will make 400 h.p without porting,450 with, but are not as straight forward ( a few more $)to bolt on as the 302

Just cause I'd like to hear your opinion....

And find out if anyone else has this combo......

318 from a 69 Dart, bored .020 over, with R & R'd 360 heads, Edelbrock aluminum 4bbl intake, Edelbrock 750cfm Performer 4bbl carb. Unfortunately stock headers for now. A/C delete and fan delete.

fastmopar

I've done similar. But, what is R & R'd heads?

I'll assume stock 360 heads rebuilt for now.

The heads need a good milling to bring back compresion. There way to much head for a stock 318. Better off with the stock heads and some valve work. Comp. valve job and back cut valves. OE valves are fine at this point.

What intake?
What rear end ratio?
A small cam like Prine suggested would be a real nice gain in power.

Thanks for the opinion. When I get it running I'll let you know.

If this combo is disappointing my next plan is to drop the rebuilt 5.7 from an 05 Magnum R/T into the Dart. Lot's of research. Very doable.

fastmopar

Thanks for the .02. I'll let you know when it's running.

If it's a total disappointment.... I've got an 05 5.7 sitting in the garage. I've done the research and swapping it is is very doable.

fastmopar

-
Back