Engine Compartment Paint Rec

-

KosmicKuda

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Car is a 64 Valiant convertible. Pretty much rust free except for lower quarters and top of fenders. That will have to be attended to later. My plan is to drive the car for awhile with the natural outside patina as is. (it doesn't look too bad) Complete drive train is currently out of the car and although the engine compartment does not look too bad I've decided to paint the engine compartment now with everything out of the way.

The car is black so the engine compt will also be black. Everything has been removed from the firewall. inner fenders, radiator area. etc. I took out the heater and will be rebuilding that. I scuffed up the existing paint with 3M Scotchbrite pads and roloc pads of similar material. It was kind of shocking to see how thin the original paint is in the engine compartment and apparently there is no primer under it. I don't think I want to completely strip the paint down to bare metal. I was thinking of shooting a primer/sealer and then top coating with a generic single stage paint with hardener.

Because it's basic black I don't think I'm not going have custom paint mixed but just use a generic black.

Eastwood has opened a store nearby and they have a Boulevard Black single stage urethane available for $41/quart and $15 for a half pint of activator.
They also have DTM primer at $35/qt and activator for $10/qt.
Also a black epoxy primer (part A) at $25/qt and part B for $42 gallon.

I'm leaning towards the epoxy primer under the single stage top coat.

There is also a Summit store nearby and I know they carry some house brand paint.

My questions are:
Is a primer necessary based on what the factory did? It lasted 47 years. Can I just scuff up what is there and start painting.
Anyone have any opinions on these two paint choices?
My other option is go to a real auto paint store and buy everything there but probably for more money. I'm not looking for show quality but something that will turn out pretty good.

Thanks for your help.

I'd definitely recommend a primer- you'll have issues without it if there's any bare metal, and there could also be a reaction between the new single-stage and the factory paint.

I've used Summit's epoxy with good results- haven't used Eastwood's but it gets good reviews

Thanks.

There definitely will be some bare metal as the original factory paint is so thin that it is easy to break through to bare metal. So definitely primer first.

X2 on the epoxy primer. it will stick to anything, bu t needs a top coat for sure. if you are going to later do anything to floors pans, or any part of the car, go ahead and get a gal of the epoxy, cheaper in long run. if you want the black car factory correct, be sure to use gloss black in eng comp. just like the outside would be, but doesn't mean I would not use a single stage there even if you use bc/cc on the ext. IMO

-
Back