Engine doesn't turn over easily

-

74 dart sport

Kameron
Reaction score
So today I went to start up the Dart. The first time I turned it over, it was fine. I let it run for a few mins and then I turned it off. When I went to turn it on again (only a few mins after I turned it off), the starter wouldn't engage. I moved the shift handle a little, and then tried to start it again. It turned over for about a half a second, then stopped. I turned the ignition to off and then turned it to the run position (where everything has power except for starter). I moved the shifter from Park to 2nd and then from 2nd to Park all in one swift movement. Then I turned the key to engage the starter and the engine started right up. Any idea why this has happened ? I'm thinking it may be a faulty NSS, but I'm still a novice. Thank you!

I should also add that last night, it had this difficulty. However, last night and only last night, something in the dashboard buzzed or repeatedly clicked when it was in gear. It went away when shifted into park.

Check your solenoid to see if the wire that goes to the nss is on and connecting good .

Sounds like either a switch wearing out or a loose connection in the start circuit or cabling.

What switch would it be? And what are all components in the starting circuit? What is the solenoid? and are there any tests I can do to determine what it is?

What switch would it be? And what are all components in the starting circuit? What is the solenoid? and are there any tests I can do to determine what it is?
Solenoid is on drivers side fender well...small metal thing with wires about 1.5" X 2"

Just really check everything you can. ...battery cables....etc.
Any loose wires? Very much messing around and I'd disconnect the battery.

Jeff

Disconnect the NSS and run a jumper from solenoid to ground , raise rear tires off ground , try to start car . If car starts , sol is bad . Also, check your shift linkage from shifter to trans . Links might be in middle of detent . Make sure you have a good ground . You can't overdo this . Make sure your start switch is functioning properly. You should have juice in start position as well as run position . Hope this helps .

Ok, thanks so much! The shift linkage on the car is Jimmy rigged because the transmission is a 727 from 1967 and the car is 1974 and came with a 904 originally. That may be the problem (The needle and letters don't match up and it cant even be put into first manually.

The shift linkage directly affects how the NSS works. If the linkage is all jacked up and rigged all to hell, it's a wonder the car even starts at all. Stop messin around and fix it right or you'll forever have problems.

The 74 model had a 1 year only seat belt interlock tied into the yellow start signal wire. Since you mentioned the clicking and buzzing, This interlock could be a player. I don't have 74 wiring diagrams so I don't know if the seatbelts were wired to the key warning buzzer. The one buzzer module under the dash does have a crowd of wires.

I took care of the seatbelt interlock already. I found out the buzzing noise was just a loose nut in the dashboard (whoops!). So I think it wouldn't turn over because of the funky shift linkage

Take the linkage off and start over. Put the Trany in park and start to adjust the linkage from the trans to the shifter. It should all drop in smoothly when correct.

-
Back