Engine dying

-

baucco

Reaction score
Car runs fine in Neutral,Dies as soon as you put it in Reverse. why? I thought I fixed this already!

Not sure about drive,stuck in the garage right now. Seemed like it wanted to stay.

Well give it some gas, and get it out and drive it! being the middle of November, we ain't exactly in the happy season for carbs.

Hey Chief, I would love to get it out and let it run,but it keeps dying once i put it in gear! Just finished doing the ammeter bypass and it sounds great in Neutral but won't run correctly under load.

Try letting it warm up for a while with the transmission selector lever in Neutral. Then, try just holding the brake pedal with your left foot and hold a little pressure on the gas pedal with your right foot, MAKE DAMNED SURE YOU'RE IN REVERSE and NOT DRIVE, and see if it'll move out of the garage for you.

Oh, and take that brick out from behind your left rear wheel. :)

How about the choke linkage...is it moving freely? Or the cold idle setting? A friend of mine had a 318 that used to die unless you propped the choke open. Thinking it had something to do with vacumn, he sold it short of fixing it.

Dave

Hey Dan,
Aaron and I rolled his "new" Duster off the trailer, out into the street, and UP the drive apron to the garage -- by brute force. Go get your neighbor across the street to come over and give you a hand rolling that puppy out of the garage. Get it pointed away from everyone and everything, then let 'er rip.

You said it idles OK in neutral, what about good ol' PARK? Start it up in the street in PARK or NEUTRAL, let it warm up a bit till it's idling smooth (check the choke thing as suggested), foot brake it, get rpms up a little, and drop it into "D". Take special care to note exactly how it reacts through all stages of this.

Did you get a chance to try the carb cleaner around the carb's base and throttle shaft bushings like we discussed?

Jerry

p.s. "brick from behind wheel" -- good one Sid

If it still dies when warmed up, try increasing the idle speed screw as a temporary fix. Might be something minor like fuel/mixture settings on the carb, or idle speed adjustment. Take it from there. GL.

-
Back