Engine goes rich and wants to die.

-
Reaction score
Tacoma, WA\College Place, WA \Pendleton, OR
I bought my dart a couple of years ago, it came with a reasonably built 340, a 3000 plus stall converter, and 4.56 gears in the back. When I first got the car you couldn't drive it very far because the thermostat was too high and would get up to about 215 deg and would get too rich and die. Well I fixed that right away and put a 180 deg. thermostat in it. Since then I have rebuilt the carb and put a new intake manifold on it not all because of the going rich problem. Now I can drive it at lower rpms all day, but if I step on it and shift it through the gears when I come to a stop the car still goes really rich and wants to die.
Any ideas of what it might be? Thanks for your input.

Patrick

Are you sure it's going really rich? How do you know? Not meaning you don't know what your talking about just curious. Welcome to the forum by the way.

fuel level in the carb bowls is might be too high.

I would check all the vacuum lines and if you have power breaks check the anti-blowback valve I dont know if it will make that much of a differance but if you have changed the manifold and rebuilt the carb that is whare I would start. other then that it kinda sounds like a carb or timing/dist issue.

I'm at a lost on what the problem is. My only guess is you have a high pressure mech fuel pump and at high rpm's you overload the floats and completely fill the bowls then when you slow down the motor just can't take the extra fuel at low rpm's. Just my two cents.

There is a fuel regulator on the line but I am not sure what it is set at. The car is at my parents house across the state.

I'd recommend installing a pressure guage and set the regulator for between 6-7 psi. During hard acceleration the fuel will go to the back of the primary bowl, away from the level control needle valve and if the pressure is to high you maybe getting to much fuel into the bowl for a second or two causing the fuel to flood into the venturis. You could also try this, adjust the float level so it is just coming out the tadle tale port on the side of the bowl then go down a 1/4 turn from there. Either way make sure your pressure is set correctly.

Terry

When I was working the bugs out of my Demon and there were bugs, I had the same problem. I had a Holley Blue fuel pump and regulator. From time to time the Hemi would bog down, black smoke would come out the exhaust and a couple times it stalled. The problem was, the regulator mechanism in the pump would stick. The pressure was more than the external regulator could cope with and the carbs would flood. I replaced the pump and the problem went away.

Bruce

-
Back