engine help!

-

71dartdemon

Reaction score
i have a 71 /6 225 auto. I just took possession of the car and while it starts pretty easily, it stalls quite a bit. Started right up when I got it home on the trailer, then I put it in reverse, and as soon as I gave it some gas, it stalled, over and over. Did it to in drive, but not quite as quickly as in reverse.
Can you guys give me an idea of where I need to start to tune this thing up a little bit so that it runs more smoothly? I am really new to this, and most, motors, so if you can dumb any advice down I would appreciate it.
Thanks all!

look for vacuum leaks, the rubber vacuum lines and plastic connecters get old and break causing them to leak, this will make it imposable to tune the engine properly,
you also want to check for old or dirty fuel, water in the fuel, clogged fuel filter, dirty air filter, fouled spark plugs, old bad spark plug wires, corrosion under the distributor cap, stuck or non operational choke, dirty carburetor, timing out of adjustment, dirty points (if it is not electronic ignition)

First check the timing. Second make sure the gas is good and that the filter is not clogged. Next check for vacuum leaks.

Also be sure you let it warm up. It can take anywhere from a few seconds to minutes.

so it runs fine in idle?

will it run fine when you give it gas in idle?

as caferacerx said check and fix the vacuum leaks, the only one you really need is for the power brakes (if installed.)

if all components are ok then it may be cold natured like mine and need to be warmed up really good to move around...(because my carb adjusting skills stink...lol)

Odd question. There are two hoses coming off the front of the block running back towards the firewall. On mine, the hose goes from the top onoe and wraps around to the bootom. The hose is kinked because of the 180 degree turn it is forced to take. Why is this, what is it, and do I need to fix it?

My guess is heater hoses looped probably because the heater core leaks. As for the stall... Did you let it warm up until the choke opened ? You cant just crank and go with the carborated engines. If the choke is fully open and it still hesittates or stalls the accerator pump in the carb may be the fault.

yup someone by passed your heater, so no heat and no defrosters
and carburetor's often run rough until the engine warms up, even when adjusted correctly

my guess is the heater core leaks and DONT FILL your engine up with rad seal this is not a fix you can get a new heater core or a good used one on ths site good luck

Next question, I have cracks in my header. Is there someting that can fill that temporarily until I can get it replaced?

-
Back