engine ID# versus veh serial #

-
Reaction score
1971 Duster 340. My engine casting number (14 digits) identifies the correct engine for my vehicle but the 8 digit vehicle serial number located right above oil pan rail does not match the last few casting digit numbers. Freak, mystery or mistake?

Website questions and suggestions? I just moved it to the proper forum.

1971 Duster 340. My engine casting number (14 digits) identifies the correct engine for my vehicle but the 8 digit vehicle serial number located right above oil pan rail does not match the last few casting digit numbers. Freak, mystery or mistake?

?????How 'bout "It's not the original engine"

Where are you getting the 14 digit casting number from?? The only 14 character casting number would be the one stamped on the front of the block just below the driver side cylinder head. That number will NOT match the number above the pan rail. The casting number on the front was used for a completely different purpose.

The 8 digit number above the pan rail will match the last chargers of the 13 character number on the top of your dash IF it's "numbers matching "

img_4072-jpg.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

does not match the last few casting digit numbers

Casting number?

No stamped number set will match a casting number, casting numbers are left from the mold process.

The stamped number series on the front is the engine serial number, added when the assembled engine was completed.

The partial VIN was stamped later, right before going into its original car.

Pics would help, as the terms sometimes get confused. ^ What The Princess said above. More clarification.......
The last six digits of the stamped number by the oil pan rail, should match the last six on your dish VIN plate. The cast in numbers on the side of the block have nothing to do with the car, as the car didn't exist yet when the block was cast. They only identify the displacement of the block and the date and shift cast.

-
Back