Engine in Van...

-

73duster47

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I went down to the local pick-a-part this morning looking for a 360 and a 727 trans to swap into my '73 Duster. I found 5 of these combos in the yard, and was able to turn all the engines over by hand. I took a good hard look at one in particular, that looks like it's been rebuilt in the last few years or so. The only issue is that this engine and trans are in a 1974 Dodge Tradesman van.
I've never even thought about pulling an engine from a van, let alone seen it done. So how hard is it to do? Looks like I need to pull the radiator and core support out, and pop the hood off and I will have a few guys helping me. Anyone got some tips?
I'm going to head back this afternoon once I get out of class
Thanks very much!

i feel that i would rather work on an engine from a van than a truck. all of the vehicles in my local pick a part are up on wheels under the frame rails, and the added height of a truck combined with nothing to stand on makes dismantling harder. i have not pulled an engine from a van, just heads. but i think that it would be the same / easier than a truck. if you have five to choose from try to find a 1989-1992 360 they are probably the best cores to have, IE roller cam, 308 heads.

I did a 360.727 pullout on my '75 tradesman. Real easy. 2 ways to do it. One is out the side. I did it out the front. The fenders are welded on on top. You cut them off. Then cut out the whole radiator support. ect. Take it out the front. It was quicker and REAL EASY.

got a friend here at school who's done this exact thing, about 10 times. He's always pulled the engine from the front, and will be coming with me when i go in 2 hours. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll post pics once its home.

-
Back