Engine install w/or without manifolds

-

Dana

FABO Vendor
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
Can I bolt the factory 273 manifolds onto my 64 dart before setting the engine down in? My main concern looks like the steering column. What is the easiest way? Thanks

They are not that hard to bolt in once the motor is in. I find it easier to drop it in complete, then run in the steering. On my 65 Barracuda, its just 2 bolts and a electrical plug! Column slides right in.

Can I bolt the factory 273 manifolds onto my 64 dart before setting the engine down in? My main concern looks like the steering column. What is the easiest way? Thanks
It’s easier if you have manual steering. I did it with power steering and it was the biggest waste of 1.5 hrs trying to get 2 middle bolts in.

Jake

Last edited:
I leave manifolds off. They are not hard to bolt on afterwards and leaving them on can make it a really tight fit. Its a bigger issue if everything is painted up nice and your trying not to scratch anything. If its an old beater I might install with manifolds.

Leave it off. It's tight in there might hit your firewall or rub on it.
When I installed the new 273 in CUDAVRT I bolted the complete engine / 4-speed to the K-member and lowered the body over it. Easiest install I ever did. A friend did this with a Hemi Superbird.

IMG_0759.JPG

I would put the driver's side manifold on after the engine is in. Besides the steering shaft, I believe the master cylinder is also an obstacle on the early A.

Put the drivers side manifold in the car and tie it off to the side, then put the engine in w/o manifolds on. Pass side manifold has room to put on after engine is in car.

Yes sir. That is exactly what went down. It was the simplest way. Thank you

-
Back