Engine is done.....Finally

-

Badart

Reaction score
Finished the 318 for my 73 Swinger. .040 over flat top pistons .060 in the hole, Comp XE256 cam, Rebuilt magnum heads with 1.6 rockers and chebby behive springs, Magnum dual plane air gap intake, Holley 600, Hooker comp headers. Should be a fun little street motor.

I also installed the transgo TF-2 in the 904 and upgraded the torque convertor to a 2,200 stall from mopar performance. Once I get it running I will then weld in the 4-link and the narrowed 9" and detroit locker with 3.91 gears and weld in the tubs. I have a huge pile of parts here to install and no time to do it. Anybody want to come and help me out?
I can't wait to get it on the road. Thanks FABO.

Done engine.jpg

Yeah they are cheaper and spec out good for a moderate cam. The part numbers are GM #10166343 for the springs and #10166344 for the retainers and there are a direct fit and cost me $134 total a the chevrolet parts counter(with a discount). I will look for the thread that I posted about it a few weeks ago.

Badart: What do you mean by: ".040 over flat top pistons .060 in the hole?"

sweet, let me know how this all turns out. thinkin of doing something similar to my dart. btw, love the exterior stone on your house...very nice indeed!

I just want to say thanks to all for the input on my little 318 combo. Got the cam broke in with no problems. This combo sounds pretty nasty and revs quick. The cam has just enough chop to it to scare off most hondas at the stop lights. Have not had a chance to drive it yet (maybe this week). Thanks again FABO, You Rock!!!!

I need to get my steering column situation taken care of. I am going from a column shift to a floor shifter, so I am switching out the coumn from a manual steering column to a power steering floor shift. The splines on the two are different and the manual steering shaft is longer. Just trying to sort that out then it will go around the block.

Not sure on the jet size. Bought the carb from a local guy who just had it rebuilt, then he decided to return his vette to stock. Before the rebuild he was running on a 327 in his Corvette. I figured I would try it and rejet it if I have to, but it seems pretty close right now. I live at 5,500' elevation so my jetting may not work for some people. I have heard that for every 2,000' in elevation you have to go down one jet size. I will try and find out without tearing into it.

I just want to say thanks to all for the input on my little 318 combo. Got the cam broke in with no problems. This combo sounds pretty nasty and revs quick. The cam has just enough chop to it to scare off most hondas at the stop lights. Have not had a chance to drive it yet (maybe this week). Thanks again FABO, You Rock!!!!

this cam has a chop to it? lets hear it i am curious (sp) to hear it run now. i woldn't think it waould have any chop. looks great

I will try and get a video tommorrow and post it. All that I have is my digital camera, so it wont be the best, but it does have a little chop too it.

Just curious, any problems with the engine over the past year? Building a 318 almost identical to yours for my son's duster and been trying to find springs for the magnum heads. I had ran across the post on moparts.org and was thinking of doing that, but wanted to see if you had any problems. Did you use the stock Magnum 8 degree locks, or the chevy locks?

He posted the video in a different thread.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29209642@N00/3786346360/"]103_0597 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2624/3786346360_ce535962d8_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@3786346360@@AMEPARAM@@ce535962d8[/ame]

Yep it's a noisy gear drive. It's made by CAT and was pretty cheap and quality seems really good.

-
Back