Engine locking up??

-
Yep - I'm serious. Seems every little thing I did, there was less obstruction - until there was none. I wish that something had been wrong that I could find and fix!

I bought this engine used a year ago to just drop in and drive. Now I'm at that dreaded point that you tell yourself " well, since I got it out, I might as well". I know everybody has been there. Now I'm thinking "might as well pull the intake off and see that everything under there is ok. Could go ahead and put rod bearings in it. Hell, main bearings too! Rings won't cost that much more".

Good Grief!

With the motor upside down,, were there something on top of a piston,, it would fall into the combustion chamber, and perhaps miss interfering with the piston...

Did you happen to go missing a small nut or bolt during assembly??

Check the carb base-plate screws,, a member's motor recently swallowed one,, he discovered it AFTER fire-up..

hope it helps..

I rolled the engine back upright and there is no obstruction. I've been working on this car for a year and a half, so anything is possible.

Just got the engine apart. Anybody interested in what was causing the obstruction?

I took the timing cover off, then the cam sprocket and timing chain. Still had the little hump. So, next I took off the driver's side head. I could still feel the hump. That isolated the problem to number 8 cylinder. Number 8 went through TDC and I could feel the obstruction. Took the right head off. The problem was dirt, carbon, rust, etc had broken loose and built up and the piston was hitting that when it came up to the head. There was probably a tablespoon of crap that was causing the problem. I was turning the engine by hand, not enough to blow the crap outta it!

I don't think there is such a thing as a "low budget refresh", Mike!

with the pump off, does it hang? Sounds like you got a bad oil pump or some trash in there. pump drive straight?

-
Back