Engine numbers

-

67 gt

A Wog boy who loves his Mopars !
Reaction score
Hi all just received my 67 Dart gt from Johnburg ILL,4 months after the deal was done ,long wait but it was worth it at the end. Was alittle dissapointed as some one had helped them selfs to my fender Tag while she was in in LA in the holding bay, not to mind as i have photos from when the car was inspected and have all the documention to go with it so i will have to contact Galen Glovier to get that replaced.I was trying to find the engine numbers to see if it was a numbers matching because everything from the fender tag was decoded and was correct so i wanted to see if the motor was also correct as well,to my supprise i could only find 2 digits which were very faint not legitable,4digits which you could read easy than under it was a 8-25 ?. Than i started to dig a little further and got the casting numbers off the block and found out its a 318, (2806030) was built 3.4.66 and was made at 12.00pm dayshift, but what confusers me is this engine number,its under the drivers side cylinder head .The machine marks on the surface dont look like its been tampered with, only some slight sand marks which i did to remove the paint for verification.The engine has the 273 4 barrell carb, manifold, twin point dizzy, aircleaner, all the gear like the 273 Hipo commando engine but is a 318 in diguise. Would or could some one shed some light as to whats going on.Ive head Chrysler did some weid things with their warranty work when engines were replaced.Thanks P.S will post some photos soon as im doing some front end work at the moment,new rubbers , ball joints etc etc

Sounds like an engine change to me. There were no VIN's stamped into the block that year so the best you can do is get the engine size right and a casting date in the appropriate range.

Hi cudamark thanks for the reply ive been doing some searching and found in that year that they ran the same casting numbers, but they are conflicting as some sites say different , but in one forum this guy had the same casting numbers has to i have and found he had partial engine numbers as well on his 273 and was told that was common for that year.I removed the rocker covers and checked the casting numbers and found in that year the 273 and 318 shared the same head casting numbers so the only way is to remove the cylinder head and check bore sizes.Will do that later on as at the moment im painting the underside, and after the new year getting the whole front end redone,as i have all the parts just need to get it fitted after the new year and get the girl on the road.

All the info I can find points to the engine being a 318 with that casting number on the block. The model year I.D. and displacement is stamped into the block on the left front verticle face of the block right below the head gasket. If it's a '67 model 318, it should be stamped C 318, if it's a 273, it should say C273. I see a casting 2806130 listed for a 273 but I don't remember ever seeing one. My '64-6 273 engines have 2465330 as a casting number. I have some blocks around your year and when I get a chance, I'll look to see what kind numbers they have. You're correct on the heads. In '67 the 273 and 318 used the same casting....920. The 273 was a solid cam motor and the 318 was hydraulic however. This info is for U.S. built vehicles so if you're working with Aussie parts all bets are off!

The "good" news is that prior to 68, "date correct" and "matching numbers" engine are the same thing, so all you have to do if you're really concerned, is find a date correct 273. The 318 might be a good thing as it's more cubes and easier maint.

If you bought the car under the assumption that it was the original engine, then that's a completely different story.

I'd pull the valve cover and see if it has adjustable rocker arms.

A 318 with a March '66 casting date is a Polysphere ( 318-"A" ) series , which differs from the LA-318 quite a bit (although *some* replacement parts interchange).

I'd recommend looking at that casting date's year again ; maybe the second "6" is really an "8" .

That very well could be the original engine. Are you writing about the stamping on the drivers side of the block, front, below the deck. You really need to clean up that area and look at the stampings and decode them. Size, build date.

I have the exact same engine block casting sitting in my backyard, it's a 273. That casting number is a crossover casting used for both 273 &318. An early 1966 casting date could very well be used in a 1967 model year car.

Ok, I went through a bunch of blocks around that year and this is what I found.....
All my '64-6 273 blocks (about 10 of them) have the 2465330 casting number.
(2) '67 273 blocks with the C273 stamp in front are cast 2806030-273
(2) 68-9 273 blocks stamped PM273 are the same casting number.....2806030
(1) '67 318 stamped C318 is casting 2536030
(1) '69 318 stamped PM318 is also cast 2536030 as well as a dozen other 318's I have so I can only conclude that the book I have is wrong unless someone else here can post a photo of a 318 with the 2806030 casting number.

sorry for the late reply as ive been flat out, who said the christmas break was a time to relax, man i havent stopped . I cant get under the car to check that c273 number at this moment as ii have the rear end on stands and i havent the room to move around but i will check once i put the rear wheels back on and move the girl.Once again i would like to thank you all for your input and specialty Cudamark for going out of your way to provide that info for us.Thats why i love this forum any problems or info needed there is always some one out there who has come across it or has the know how.!!!!

-
Back