Engine of barn find-steps to evaluate/save

-
1- make sure it's in neutral
2- jump under there and pop off the trans inspection window and while somebody bars the motor over, see if there is something broken, hitting or amiss.

Automatic (push button)
OK,..... so it's not the starter, or frozen valves, & You can rotate the mill "several times" clockwise......but not once counterclockwise.
Questions;
1) If You stop turning the engine in a different position, does the amount of rotation before locking change, or is it the same each time?
2) You stated it turned smoothly & quietly, so no light scratching/scraping, clinking/ticks at all..correct?
3) When it stops w/a clunk, turning slowly, does it feel like it binds up..or an abrupt/rock hard stop?

At this point, I'd pull the trans shield, & give one of the flexplate ears/screw/converter lugs a squirt of bright paint to line it back up. Then take the converter screws out & push the converter back & make sure it's free from the crank, then repeat the crank roll & see what You've got.

Ok now turn it over the good direction by hand and watch the valves. Make a note of the valves that open and close.

OK:

All the valves open and close as they should. Multiple rotations, no scraping sounds at all. I do hear, while rotating, the sound of maybe a lifter falling and bouncing slightly once in a while, prolly sticky and maybe normal?

Counterclockwise, binds at the same spot every time and the "clunk" really does seem to be from the back, most likely trans or converter.. SEE PIC: almost looks like this is hitting inside? I am soaking the cables/shift buttons with silicone. I've no idea what gear it might actually be in. Should it rotate backwards if its in gear?
20241012_122144.jpg

It sure looks like it's out in that picture I was talking about.

It's an automatic and not running so doesn't matter what gear it is in, it should spin free both directions. Other than park.

Nevermind. I blew the picture up. What I saw was a head bolt.

¿Podemos mantener esto en inglés, muchachos? Algunas personas no son tan geniosas como nosotros. Gracias.

¿Podemos mantener esto en inglés, muchachos? Algunas personas no son tan geniosas como nosotros. Gracias.
jajajajaja. claro que sí puedes.

back to the mystery clunk: well... it only happens in CCW rotation, right? well good thing a slant turns clockwise then. pour some gas in and light 'er off!

if it's coming from the bellhousing area literally, that clunk could be anything: an old mud dauber nest, nuts a squirrel stashed in there, diamonds from a heist in the late 60's, a rock that got kicked up in there from bombing around in a fiend, a small knife used to slay the man that killed my father in cold blood that hot and sticky july night.

anyway, i'd yoink the plugs and throw some penetrating oil down the bores and then get that thing turning over to see if it's making any big ugly noises-- you'll know right away-- and do a quick and dirty finger compression test to determine if i should waste any more time attempting to get the darn thing running.

Im looking.. My eye must not be catching it??? Looks like the rest..View attachment 1716314882View attachment 1716314883View attachment 1716314884
In My 36+ year career pro-wrenching, I've seen multiple dozens of broken rods that didn't go through the block, and they'll do exactly this...they lay against the block left bank or rear bank, rotating CW the throw pushes it out of the way & it clinks when it falls back once clear, but turn it CCW & the throw pins it to the block & stops dead...every time....in the same spot.

In My 36+ year career pro-wrenching, I've seen multiple dozens of broken rods that didn't go through the block, and they'll do exactly this...they lay against the block left bank or rear bank, rotating CW the throw pushes it out of the way & it clinks when it falls back once clear, but turn it CCW & the throw pins it to the block & stops dead...every time....in the same spot.
See post #17

Looks like the others, que piensa?
Pull the plugs & start at the back, put a length of 3/16" brake tubing in #6 plug hole as 'upright' as poss., then turn the engine CW....does it move, if yes move towards the front 1×1...if You get a no,...well then You KNOW....no Fuke-arown.

Last edited:
Well shoooot... I tried the "hose in the cylinder" test. The front 5 seem to show up and down movement, BUT that last cylinder, in the back, seems to be staying in the same place. The hose, on cylinder rotation, jiggles a little, but that could be a valve moving it. How difficult is a rebuild on these? For all I know the auto trans could be trashed as well.. Body has plenty of rust to fix. At what point is it just not worth dumping money into?

At what point? Right now!

It's been sitting outside for decades, it's a money pit. And what's it worth when you are done?

Save your money and buy a nice survivor when one comes up.

Well shoooot... I tried the "hose in the cylinder" test. The front 5 seem to show up and down movement, BUT that last cylinder, in the back, seems to be staying in the same place. The hose, on cylinder rotation, jiggles a little, but that could be a valve moving it. How difficult is a rebuild on these? For all I know the auto trans could be trashed as well.. Body has plenty of rust to fix. At what point is it just not worth dumping money into?
Folks practically give Slantys away stock, the problem is the proximity of the parties usually, & the timing. It's worth throwing a pick-up stock mill in for what they go for, to make it a runner, the only thing to watch for is any '68&^ crank needs a spacer ring to center the smaller '67& down torque converter's smaller hub nose. They pop up here all the time, & FB-MP, from free to $$$ depending. Look back through the Mechanical Parts for Sale forum, & use the search function there as well.
P.S. That engine would've had a road-draft tube, not a PCV system originally in that car, so either the engine or the valve cover & related PCV components were changed out.

-
Back