Engine Oil Cooler

-

T56MaxTorq

Reaction score
Been wanting to add an engine oil cooler to my turbo 318 setup but am second guessing it. I have a 3 way oil pressure feed next to the distributor that feeds my turbo and my oil gauge. Wanted to add the oil cooler from here and dump it into the timing cover plate. Been wondering if I could starve the turbo from oil if I add this cooler. I just have a stock pump with a hardened drive shaft. Anyone running a turbo and an oil cooler??

Why not run it in series with the turbo line?

I don't really know anything about turbo oil systems, but I'm pretty sure you'll lose pressure if you run it parallel. Whether that's an issue or not... I'm sure someone else here knows.

Don't really know, also I would imagine you would lose some psi. Keep in mind your engine oil should run at a minumum of 212 degrees.

I suppose I'd be ok since the turbo oil inlet is restricted. Maybe restrict the oil cooler too depending on pressure drop.

I had thought about running some sort of cooler on the return side of the turbo but it is only a mere 12" line. Use a copper hardline wrapped like a heatsink. Problem is I don't know how effective it would be and it is a tight clearance between the lower radiator hose, crossover pipe and return line.

I plan on running one on my set up just going off the regular oil filter place either a sandwich plate or doing a remote set up too. A cooler really doesn't affect a turbo performance what hurts them is after a nice hard run remembering to let them run for about a minute before you shut down, normal cruising don't have to worry about this.

I plan on running one on my set up just going off the regular oil filter place either a sandwich plate or doing a remote set up too. A cooler really doesn't affect a turbo performance what hurts them is after a nice hard run remembering to let them run for about a minute before you shut down, normal cruising don't have to worry about this.

Why not just install a turbo timer?

Ideally the oil pump would have a dedicated stage or two that takes the scavenged oil out of the dry sump pan, pushes it thru the oil cooler, and then dumps it into the dry sump oil tank. :)

In the real world it is usually plumbed between the oil pump and the engine using at least -10AN lines & hoses. Can buy a thermostat for the oil system if you live in an area where it will too cold to have the cooler in the system all of the time. These start to open at 160°F and are fully open by 180°F, and they never fully close - there is always a little oil flowing thru the cooler so that an sir pocket doesn't develop and get delivered to the bearings when the t-stat starts to open.
Can find these t-stats at BAT-Mocal (along with some really good oil coolers) and Pegasus Racing. Summit may finally be selling them too. DO NOT buy the type with cast hose bibs, buy the type that requires an AN adapter fitting and use some form of compatible hose & fittings. Hose barb type fittings are really, really bad plan for the life-blood of your engine.

Had an HKS turbo-timer on a 22RET. Hated it. Way, way too complicated. All I needed was something that would keep it running until cool. It wanted to do all sorts of other, fancy things including playing some gawd-arful tune.

I just put a hidden switch on the turbo-diesel Rabbit that kept the fuel cut solenoid energized with the IGN off. Liked that way better.

I'd use an oil filter adapter and put it in line with the filter, that's how most stock ones are. I believe they are more concerned with volume than pressure.

-
Back