Engine oil dye

-

Professor Fate

Push the button, Max...
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe it's the super light viscosity oils in common use today, but I'm getting really tired of not even being able to accurately read a dipstick any more. Especially when the oil is still relatively fresh. Does anybody have any input on some sort of harmless dye that can be added to your oil (doesn't have to be real dark, just a bit of tint to it); all I can come up with are the UV dyes- who wants to break out a UV lamp every time just to check their oil?
Didn't find much on a couple of searches. Anybody else getting frustrated by this?
Thanks!

I remember some equipment the dip stick had a small hole right where the full mark is. Maybe paint the end of the dip stick?

Yeah, the issue is actually seeing the oil on the dipstick, hole or no hole. It's so light that if you have to look at it for more than a second or two, it's running down off the dipstick already and probably incorrect. I might try the paint idea, and see if the contrast is enough to do the trick.
A friend suggested adding ATF to the oil, but I'm not a fan of that.

If you try the paint idea, make sure you use a flat paint, so that you have a gloss contrast where the oil rests.

So the doctor says I have 20/20 vision, but Doc I can't read without my glasses and he says that's old age. That's something he says he can't help me with.

I’m not going to worry about nothing till I need a seeing eye dog, then I will probably have to buy glasses for both of us.

You can try some fuel cut paste. We use it in the petroleum industry for gauging tanks.
There is also a paste for detecting water in fuel.
For gauging light oils you want black paint. Our gauging tapes have a black stripe down the side so you can see the shine.

I've used this UV dye in the past. You just need a blacklight to see it. It's great for finding hidden leaks. Never had an issue with it messing with the viscosity

Screenshot-20230315-142944-Amazon-Shopping.jpg

I've used this UV dye in the past. You just need a blacklight to see it. It's great for finding hidden leaks. Never had an issue with it messing with the viscosity

View attachment 1716064266
Appreciate the thought but like I said, I don't want to break out a UV light every time I check the oil, and I'm sure not gonna carry one with me so I can check it every time I fill up on a road trip...

Run 20k hard miles between oil changes.. if there's any left you'll be able to see it fine....:lol:

If I can't check the level, it may not make it 20K hard miles!
It's a common problem with some newer dipsticks, like a chrome one, they're so reflective & bright it's hard to see where they're wet. Some OE's learned, the gauging portion of the stick is treated so that it is a flat gray, still can be hard to read with hot clean oil. If Yours has stampings or dots/holes, You might try sandblasting that section & see if it helps, or a rag/towel like '65 said.

Royal Purple is purple. Supposedly the dye dissipates soon after it's used. So the gimmick isn't especially helpful for this purpose.

Penn Grade 1 oil is green. The color occurs naturally in Pennsylvania oils, and may be enhanced with dye in this case. It's good stuff and should be easy to read on a dipstick.
PennGrade 1® Products | PennGrade 1® High Performance Motor Oil

For a modern car in which use of these oils would be inappropriate, I use the paper towel method.

-
Back