Engine paint has no gloss

-

furz4

Reaction score
I just finished repainting my air cleaner with dupli-color hemi orange and the paint has very low gloss, smells like laquer, I dont think it's enamal unless they are using laquer type thinner to speed the drying. Anybody know a good high temp paint in a spray can that has some shine to it or should I just go to the paint store and get some regular enamial mixed? I don't need a quart as I am just painting an air cleaner this color but I want it shining like a new one. Thanks-Phil.

1. What kind of base coat are you using ?

2. What's the air temp & humidity like when you're painting ?

3. Have you tried colour sanding & polishing ?

The trick I've found with air cleaners ( and other surfaces / items , which I won't railroad to right now ... ) is to :

1. Make certain that the primer / base coat is reasonably smooth via careful wet sanding with 1200 grit
( an egg shell-type lustre to it , like a satin finish )

2. Wash part(s) and let air dry until ALL moisture is evapourated

3. Lay down some mist coats ( tacky ) and let cure for ~1 minute or so

4. Gradually build-up colour coat until the part's almost completely covered ; let setup for about 5 minutes

5. Final ( top ) coat should be heavier , without runs , drips , or fish eyes

Make sure you shake the **** out of it before you spray, it does make a difference.

Thanks for the tips. I have pretty much done all of those steps except I used 600 grit for final sanding and am not going to buff or hand rub an air cleaner. Real enamal would be shiney even if rough so I am pretty sure it's not. I painted a few cars with laquer back in the day and this stuff lays down pretty much the same. Pour it on till it's almost running and wet looking and it dries down to a pretty dull gloss. Smells like laquer too. Anybody paint anything with the plasti-kote engine enamal lately?

Duplicolor does sell a hi temp clear in a rattle can. And yes,duplicolor is acrylic laquer.

smells like lacquer = definitely not California "approved" ( e.g. , your 49-state paints , cleaners , etc. , actually work ! ) !

All the big auto shops sell water based now,but I can still buy duplicolor (acrylic laquer) in a rattle can at canadian tire.

I just finished repainting my air cleaner with dupli-color hemi orange and the paint has very low gloss, smells like laquer, I dont think it's enamal unless they are using laquer type thinner to speed the drying. Anybody know a good high temp paint in a spray can that has some shine to it or should I just go to the paint store and get some regular enamial mixed? I don't need a quart as I am just painting an air cleaner this color but I want it shining like a new one. Thanks-Phil.
You have to do this....light coat for dusting it...medium coat for bringing the color to life...then a close to the object heavy coat...must keep the entire piece wet or you will have dull spots...heres what I did today...I always go with two coats of 500 degree clear..

IMG00579-20110126-1956.jpg

I just painted this 71 340 with Plasti coat 226 Hemi Orange....has a shine.
Went on nice...one coat then fine sanded...then heavy final coat.

I had the air cleaner Powdercoated for my 73 340 Dart Sport - orange. Something else to think about.

Attachments

• Dales 340.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 233
I like the look of that motor. I went and got some rust-oleum engine paint. Very nice gloss and more like the correct color to me. Couldn't find anybody that had mopar colors in plasti-kote here local. I cant beleve how much less paint it took, coverage is alot better the the duplicolor,

I think Im going with VHT red for my big block. I'll be using that particular color throughout the build so why not?

Cant beat powder coating for gloss and durability. I got mine blasted for free and figured how hard could it be to make it nice. Was not happy with the low gloss poor coverage of duplicolor so I went to a real enamel. If I would have had to pay for the blasting I probably would have went ahead and had it powder coated.

-
Back