Engine Paint Question

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Painting my stuff today and am using the Dupli-Color enamel. I'm using the primer first and am wondering when I should apply the actual paint?

Should I let the primer sit for the 7 days it says it needs to cure then paint or should I lay the paint on after 10min?

It says to put 2 light coats and one med coat. Each coat 10 minutes between and all within an hour.

Thanks!

I would wait for the primer to completely dry/cure.
What does the can say to do ?

The paint can just says to use the primer first but gives no suggestion, time wise, after that.
I guess that would imply that one must let the primer cure first then, as the primer can says to let cure for 7 days. lol

The paint can just says to use the primer first but gives no suggestion, time wise, after that.
I guess that would imply that one must let the primer cure first then, as the primer can says to let cure for 7 days. lol

And that's probably when the temps outside are warm.
Put a bag over it to keep it clean,give it a day or two,and paint it.:glasses7:

The key to a good paint job on an engine is to make sure that it is clean. When you think it's clean enough, do it one more time with a white t-shirt and see what you find! I have never primered an engine, but will be painting one soon. My buddy does mobile painting and he is going to come over and shoot it with his gun.

if it works like car paint ....I wouldn't wait till the primer cures .....when it cures, it skins over and the outer resin does not stick as good to paint ....that's assuming its like epoxy primer .....I would wait till it "flashes" and then spray the color coat, the primer coat will be still soft enough to accept the color coat and bond but not too much solvents left .....they are from the same manufacturer and same system so there wont be an overload of solvents after the primer flashes.

Well got em painted today. Let em sit till they were "dry to the touch" and put em in the oven, lol. Yep, the wife was like "What?!"

Put it on warm which I figure is around 125-150* and they were like that for 1.5hrs. Turned it off to let em cool a bit and about 10 min ago turned it up to 200* I'll let em bake in that for about an hour.

Hopefully it helps to seal the paint to the surface.

Attachments

• IMG_1603.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 316
I just use a little etching primer, let it flash off, then hit it with the color.

Yes you can just paint directly but if you hit it with a little primer, it evens out and seals the surface a bit. This makes coverage enormously better, your color will look better too.

The best engines I have ever seen bar none were painted with regular automotive paint, not high heat stuff and primed like Mr Elvis Believes said. lol

Rob,done both. Contrary to your statement ,both ways work for me. I call it good.

Yup. Both work. Automotive paint looks great, no denying that, if you have $200ish to paint you engine.

Most guys are looking for the $20 paint job. That's where a little, rattle can, etch primer and the the spray bomb color of your choice comes in.

I just use a little etching primer, let it flash off, then hit it with the color.

Yes you can just paint directly but if you hit it with a little primer, it evens out and seals the surface a bit. This makes coverage enormously better, your color will look better too.
Does that Etch primer hold up under the engine enamel?
Im getting ready to paint a block and I always wondered how much better it would be with some etch primer shot on first. I was just a bit nervous it wouldnt hold up to the heat and let the enamel go.

I like to paint engine blocks with PPG. I clean the crap out of the block first, then I like to use Bulldog adhesion promoter. Then a good catalyzed primer, color, and then clear. And as Rani said, just let the primer, flash off before you apply color. Same with the clear coat. That's how I do it, and I've never had issues with paint peeling or cracking off. And always holds up for the life of the engine. But, I'm sure there are more ways then one to do it. ;)

-
Back