Engine Paint

-

ElephantKiller

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to prime and paint my 340 and I have a question about priming the block. I've seen some blocks prime not only the outside of the engine, but also the lifter valley and the main girdles inside the block. Is this recommended?

Do not paint the inside with regular paint, it can flake and peel causing it to end up in all kinds of places you don't want it. You need special paint for the inside of the motor. Painting the valley helps aid in oil drain back to the pan. I myself do not paint them because of the fear of the paint coming loose and killing a motor. I do debur the valley and the inside of casting flash and smooth the valley with a flap wheel on a die grinder to help with the drain back. But mopars have a pretty smooth casting for the most part so as is would be fine also.

Do you recommend a special engine primer and paint for the outside. I planned on using the Mopar Blue paint. Is there anything like a clear coat that I can use to protect it?

I had the same fears about painting the inside of the block myself and did not understand the advantages of doing so.

epoxy primer is the only thing I will ever use... I highly recommend it.

and u-tech 3.8 hi solids urethane paint for topcoat, its flexable, for heat and expansion, and I have painted 3 engines with it, over 1-2 years ago now and none have had a crack, chip or peel, even using brake clean to remove drips.

I had a fire on my motor that I sprayed and brake cleen removed all the soot, and i scraped away the melted plug wires and cleaned it... low and behold the paint sttod up to that... you cant beat it!

-
Back