Engine paint

-
It depends on the application. If you want a durable long lasting coating or a spray from the can paint. The spray from a can paint will not hold up to gasoline or water leaks very well. Find a good upper level paint. It is a little more in price but will hold up 10 years or more.

Prep should be with a non solvent based cleaner to ensure maximum adhesion.

what would non solvent base be? just painted mine 2 days ago now its flaking off, better now than after I install it

Hey guys, this is the stuff I am going to use...havent used it yet for engine applications, but used the POR 15 for my kframe, the "black velvet" for a customers motorcycle exhaust. So far so good... flip thru the link, you will find a section for engine paints and even in mopar colors

http://www.por15.com/
4spdragtop

Hey guys, this is the stuff I am going to use...havent used it yet for engine applications, but used the POR 15 for my kframe, the "black velvet" for a customers motorcycle exhaust. So far so good... flip thru the link, you will find a section for engine paints and even in mopar colors

http://www.por15.com/
4spdragtop

Just finished using their hemi orange to paint my engine. It turned out really good.

Just finished using their hemi orange to paint my engine. It turned out really good.

Cool, I have only seen the ads for this, no-one...until now that I know of has used it. Post pics!! for info...or maybe start a POR thread, so everyone can see??

Thanks
4spdragtop

thats what i planed on using how much of a shine did it come out with a dual or like a bc/cc shine

We did one with POR 15 engine paint on a 71 440 and it came out great, just make sure you follow the direction's on it, because you will get a better quality outcome. Shine is very nice, just make sure, if you don't paint it in a paint booth, make sure you cover everything up that is valuable to you. When we do an engine for show......... we been painting it with Dupont B/C, the outcome HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH PREP! We usually only paint a motor after it has been totally assembled. I wash the complete motor (cast iron part of the motor) with either brakeclean or laquer clean-up thinner with a stiff brisle acid brush, then blow dry with compressed air. Anything that you are painting that's not cast iron, aluminum, steel, etc. make sure you use a very good brand bare metal or epoxy primer first before paint. I prefer to do this step before I assemble these part's to the motor, then paint. Everyone does thing different, this is just what we prefer. Hope this help's. Dodge33:cheers:

Spray oven cleaner will remove most paint, and grease from your engine block. Be sure to rinse with water & vinegar to neutralize the caustic. Once good and clean, wire brush off as much rust possible, and use spray “engine paint” from the paint aisle at a parts store. Several light coats of paint are better than one heavy sagging mess of a coat.

The reason your paint pealed was because or oil or grease was not fully removed, and possibly you forgot to use high temperature engine paint.

First I wire brush it down to the bare metal. Then use brake parts cleaner or barymans chem dip to degrease (if you do not degrease properly, you will get "fisheyes" in the paint). Wipe parts cleaner off with clean shop towels. Let dry then prime and paint.

A few months ago i had cast iron intake and sheet metal valve covers, and breather cap, hot tanked.
detail cleaning was done with brake cleaner, dental pick, tooth brush. Followed that with rubbing alcohol rinse. Colored with Duplicolor engine paint from spray cans. Most of 2 cans for the 3 parts. Saved a little for future touch up. So far so good.

Painted many a engine this way and have NEVER had a problem. All based on a freshly assemble engine. I first start by scrubing it with a good soapy bath with Dawn. I then wipe it all down with POR15 prep&ready. Follow that with clean water and a fresh scrub brush . Allow it to dry throughly. Next I spray on a coat of self etching primer, allow to dry for 1 hour. Paint with your color of choice catylized acrylic urethane, first couple of caots very lightly applied for coverage, with the last being a medium wet coat sprayed the way you want it to look. Never in the past 15 years have I had any issues with burn off, discoloring, or peeling/flaking. And will look great for years, just like the exterior of your car.

-
Back