engine paint?

-

volaredon

Reaction score
anyone here ever use the POR 15 engine paints? I have had a kit of Chrysler Blue around here for a few years, and am about to paint a /6 with it..... and a set of '302 heads I had done up for another 318 that I have, (in my Fury) that are all machine shop fresh.... hopefully its like "normal" POR 15, of which I've used a bunch over the years.... and don't peel, like Duplicolor or PlastiKote loves to do, at least every time I have used either of those 2 brands in about the last 5-6 years..... no matter how good of surface prep that I have done.
I'm at a point of "use it, or it ain't gonna be any good" I got the POR for my Volare's engine, which I still don't have "built".
and I paid pretty good money, back when I got it (not as much as it presently goes for) but want to get my moneys worth... which I won't, if I have to "chuck it".
I have sandblasted all my tinwork, and have put the "metal ready" on today.... a few coats to keep it wet for the "at least 30 min" that POR suggests. I have the silver to use on the tinwork for the "primer" (though I used the original 4 oz can that came with the kit and bought fresh of "that" last fall.... I still have the can of "318 blue" that I've had for several years, unopened.
The block has been painted by the machine shop with I don't know what, its a darker gray than "cast iron gray" and that paint seems well-applied, so I hope it works as a good primer for the POR 15 but the head didn't get the gray primer treatment at the machine shop, just clean bare cast iron,,,, with some of the original factory applied blue still there.

I did wind up buying a can of the "KBS" brand exhaust manifold paint a while back, I have the exhaust manifold done and ready to go on..... I put like 3 coats on that last fall and it's "good and dry".... it's "finished as is" as far as I am concerned. I know that stuff depends on the "baking in," once the manifold heats up.
I am gonna brush the silver (primer) on the tinwork, and on the Super 6 intake manifold I have, and then hopefully stick a few bolts in the tin to hold it to the engine (and keep paint out of where I don't want it) and spray the blue on everything, all at once.

gonna go by the appliance shop for a couple of referigerator boxes, to set up in the garage as a makeshift temporary "paint booth"
I have a couple of Binks #7 guns, but I don't want to spray that stuff thru those, in case I cant get them 100% cleaned out.... I was just given a new, $20 HF gun with cup on top. If I can't get that one clean, I ain't worried about it.... I also have (3) "detail guns" here that I can use as the "sacrificial lamb" if it comes to that..... though I haven't sprayed with ANY paint gun in several years, I think I'm gonna have to do some "you tube university" for a refresher course in handling a paint gun, before I do this job. I've never used a gun with paint cup on top of the handle. for the size of this "paint job" I'm thinking that the detail gun will be "just about the right size" for this one, the cup is about the size of a pop can. I know how hard it is to get POR off my hands..... that's why I'm leery of being able to get whatever gun I use, 100% cleaned out afterwards.
I've heard lots of "good things" about Bill Hirsch engine paint and Id like to try that stuff one day, but for now I'm wanting to use what I got.

Last edited:
I used the POR15.

7FDE8369-08AA-400D-AA6B-501CB1728FDF.jpeg

How long has it been on there?
Has it been run much?
I don't have any trailer queens, we know those hardly ever even get fired up. Mine get driven, this one is gonna get put into a truck to become my 4 season daily driver.

They have a whole long list of paints, including some obscure ones like early 60s Buick green. And I think I saw a Studebaker engine color in their list.
Just do a Google for "POR-15". It'll come right up.

aint gonna matter soon...... $4.59 a gallon for cheap grade..... farkers.... can barely afford to go to work anymore let alone put money into a project....

aint gonna matter soon...... $4.59 a gallon for cheap grade..... farkers.... can barely afford to go to work anymore let alone put money into a project....

The guy asked about engine paint and this is where you’re going?

OP, POR15 makes a great product but depending on how much driving the car will see it may be overkill. Mine hasn’t seen much driving in the last 10 years, maybe 500 miles but it still looks pretty good with whatever block paint they had for sale at Oreily that day.

49498CB3-4371-4FC1-A5CF-DC299985163D.jpeg

well I already have the POR 15, I bought it for a different project some years ago.... want to use it before it goes bad and I can't..... but don't want to use it if I hear it isn't as durable as claimed.

Seriously, there is some real positivity!

I too just bought some POR-15 Chrysler blue paint. I will be brush painting my 73 Superstock 340 within the week. I look forward to the results of others, and will be sure to post mine.

I'm gonna make up a makeshift "paint booth" in my garage, I have a refrigerator box, will need at least 1 more. I have a 2 post lift that I plan to raise high enough to support the backs of the fridge boxes, to make a sort of "cubicle" I want to wait til I can kill the pilot on my hanging Modine furnace, before I spray this. weather is still too iffy here, to declare myself "done" with garage heat for the season.....
For those that have used POR engine paint, and brushed it on,,, how well does it flow out? Does it look like it was brush applied? Their black flows out and looks sprayed even when brush applied, "no brush marks" //but when I have used their silver on other projects, I have been left with lots of brush marks. How well do their engine paints flow out?

Yes, it's durable, TOO durable. I have tried to bead blast their paint (nearly 20 years old, several thousand miles) off a big block water pump housing. It isn't going anywhere. Well, some of it has come off, but it's tough stuff...Wound up using a different housing...

ok we have some good info on the durability part of what I was asking.... anyone have any comment on application (brush? spray?) how well does brush on application, flow out?

ok we have some good info on the durability part of what I was asking.... anyone have any comment on application (brush? spray?) how well does brush on application, flow out?
I don't have that answer, but I know what I would try. I'd brush the cast iron (or aluminum), and try to spray the sheet metal.

I have the silver they say to use as a primer, (fresh batch, used the original batch that came with the "engine painting kit" on a mower deck a few months ago to "use it up") was gonna brush the sheet metal with the silver, and then spray everything with the blue topcoat. This is a pickup truck engine, and not a "show" truck at that... but I have a couple of project cars and I want to do my "experimenting" on this engine so that when I do the engines for my other projects, I get my "screw ups" out on this go round. I just know that the typical parts store or walmart spray bombs do not hold up any more like they used to and whatever I use I want it to at least do "that".

Well I'm at a crossroads. I am not happy with how it came out at all. Don't know if it's a factor of age of the paint I had on hand, or mis marked batch or what
I did exactly as they said, Metal Ready then silver (on the sheet metal) the cast iron came with some dark gray primer from the machine shop. This stuff does not cover worth a damn. 2 coats and the silver or gray still shows thru as transparent.
I sprayed it with a gun, ended up going with the bigger primer tip(2.0) it wouldn't spray out of the 1.4 tip. No matter how much air pressure or how the gun was adjusted.
I had just a little left in the can so I brushed the manifold, the only cast iron part that got silvered first. It actually came out best, just hope the brush marks level out.

I had previously (last fall) painted the exhaust manifold with KBS (a POR competitor) exhaust manifold paint, I'd gone in looking for por equivalent but they were out, at the time I got what they had at the time. I brushed that and had no issues.
I definitely am gonna need more paint, not sure what to do. I figured a pint would be enough to do 2 engines especially using a gun and a compressor for the propellant. But the cast iron doesn't match the sheet metal. In glad this isn't destined for a show truck but jeez.... I should have just rattle canned it and watched it peel in a few months.

I just finished painting my 340 using POR15 in Chrysler engine blue. I brush painted it. I am very pleased with the results, and ease of use. I did get a few runs on the smooth oil pan which is where I started. Once I figured out how much to put on the brush it went very well. I am amazed at how well that paint lays down and smooths out.
20220323_191817.jpg
20220322_141440.jpg

wow. mine came out nothing like yours. I wound up re sandblasting the sheet metal, put another coat of the POR silver on the re blasted parts and then sprayed everything with Duplicolor like I was trying to avoid to begin with. Lotsa extra work but it looks good now, at least "for" now/ hope it lasts. I have more time in the paint job than in motor assembly.... Mine came out almost transparent, almost a "pearl" look on the parts I primed with POR silver. After 3 heavy coats (sprayed) on the block the freeze plugs were still about 90% silver, with the slightest tinge of blue..... had runs in some places and the freeze plugs looked like they got just a little "overspray" on them... That ain't gonna work. And the cast iron the sheet metal and the aluminum (water pump) looked nothing alike sort of like I purposely sprayed 3 different shades of blue on the different materials, looked nothing like the paint all came from the same can (it did!) and nothing like Mopar blue. again I dunno if the paint was just "old" or if it was bad from the get go. As Jim Lusk said though.... that POR (and the Duplicolor on top of the pan) Did NOT want to come back off in the blast cabinet..... so hopefully it will help keep the Duplicolor from peeling then? I do have a bunch on the block. though I only went with 2 light coats of the rattle can on the long block..... after 3 heavy coats of POR Chry. Engine blue (that wasn't) got sprayed on. I wound up opening everything on the gun wide open and tehn change dto the 2.0 "primer" nozzle that came with the gun, plus thinned it out a good bit, before I got any product out of the spray gun..... Got the TC cover on, and the oil pan tonight. just have the fuel, oil and water pumps,. the manifolds and the valve cover left and it's completely together finally....

Kind of late now, but I have had EXCELLENT results with Eastwood's 2K engine paint. It dries so shiny, it's hard to tell when it is dry. Buy a quart of paint plus the hardener (1/2 pint I think), and you will NOT be sorry.

I used the mopar spray bomb paint. It works ok I suppose. It seems its been on a year and it seems to be holding up. I did have to retouch the intake because of a fuel leak that peeled the paint off. The last pic is the most recent after the touch up the other two is when it was new.

20201202_211208.jpg

20201215_170019.jpg

20220226_181156.jpg

-
Back