Engine Painting

-

1969340dart

Reaction score
OK I have decided to paint my engine in my 69 Dart swinger BLUE! I want to get as close to as factory original as I can. Where is the best place to purchase the paint and or brand of paint to use. Anybody got any information on this I sure would appreciate it. Also what color would the bellhousing,clutch linkage,Z bar and transmission be.I was thinking BLUE on the bellhousing,BLACK on the cluth Z bar and linkage and CASTIRON GRAY on the trans and linkage. Any suggestions!

Thanks

Bobby

Engine color paint codes.
RM, Ditzler or Acme Jobber Paint Codes for Mopar Engines:
70's blue -- 5351D
turquoise -- 4799D but delete the metal flake
red -- like on 273 high performance -- 5092D
street hemi (1966) -- 5067DH
race hemi ('64 - '65) and Max Wedge -- 5065DH

Actually turquoise is the correct color for a 69 340. I believe the bellhousing was bolted in place when the motor was painted so it would have over spray on it like the exhaust manifolds.

Tanny would be natural, Z bar I believe is black or at least mine was.

I`ve read that most 69 340`s were blue with a few exceptions being red or turquoise. I once owned a 69 Dart GTS that had a red factory 340. All the others I`ve seen have been blue. As for turquoise (as in 68 383 color), I have personally never seen one but people say they exist. Knowing Chrysler nothing went to waste, so on a particular day if the only engine paint available was pink, then the engines would have been pink. Lol! After 40 years paint will fade. My 68 340 looked to be orange but I know it was once red. I wonder if some of the turquoise engines are actually blue engines that have changed color with time?

The 69 340 engine color is all ways a big debate on Moparts. But most will agree that Turquoise not blue was the most common color for them. I has a 69 satellite with a turquoise 318. Motor was untouched.

-
Back