Engine rebuild

-

1971Demon340

Mastodon Demon
Reaction score
I have the Demon in the shop for minor restoration work and the mechanic needed to get a new timing chain as the old one was stretched for being raced too hard. If I get the engine completely rebuilt will this be detrimental to the numbers matching engine and transmission? It is not dead, but does have 155,000 miles on it and I do not want to hurt the numbers value. So, If I get the engine, transmission, and rear end rebuilt will it lessen the value of the numbers matching car?
Thanks,
D340

Does it run fine? If it does I wouldn't rebuild anything.

Why do you think the trans and rear end need rebuilt?

To your specific question… You lose #s matching value when you start losing #s matching parts.

For example….. An engine rebuild doesn't hurt anything…. An engine replacement does.

Internal part replacement really doesn't matter but losing external parts can….. By external parts I mean…. Heads, carb, manifolds, air-cleaner and so on…. But this stuff can be replaced so really isn't that big of a deal….

You can just replace the timing chain if all the other stuff checks out….. Don't let any mechanic talk you into unneeded extra work….

I don't think you will hurt the value of your car by rebuilding and maintaining all the drivetrain...Replace that timing chain, it wont hurt the value...

The mechanic is not pushing. Just my mind is wondering since it was raced in the past due to it having a reverse shift kit installed. It drives fine so most likely this will not be done for a few more years unless something does happen,
D340

Well…. If your mechanic isn't pushing extra work and honestly thinks your chain should be replaced I would probably replace the chain.

Chain was replaced, but it got me thinking about the internals of the engine being used and abused and if it would hurt the value to rebuild the engine in order to make it run better,
D340

I believe it is someone here on FABO that has a line in his sig that goes something like this:

Worry is the result of an over active imagination produced by a lack of alcohol.

If your engine is working good since replacing the timing gear set, have a drink, drown your over active imagination, and quit worrying about the future of your engine. As long as it runs good now, enjoy it until you have problems with it, then rebuild it. :)

I would prefer to have an original engine with miles that runs solidly then a rebuilt one. At leas then I know what I'm starting with. If it's in solid reliable shape and you're happy with it, leave it alone...

True, thanks for all the information. A Pittsburgh engine shop quoted $2500.00 to rebuild. Leave well enough alone,
D340

-
Back