engine removal and is this part avail? 71 Swinger

-

Reaction score
Stupid question maybe, its been a while since Ive been under an A-body but can I drop engine/trans combo out the bottom along with K-frame? 225 slant six auto car.

2nd question: My vinyl top ends at the top of the A-pillar and there are little 1/2 inch by maybe 1.5 sort of trim filler deals that are cosmetic, originally chrome and potmetal, they are falling apart/unusable. Does anyone reproduce these?

I can post a pict of the part if need be. Thanks

You can drop the whole assembly out the bottom.

As for the two trim, they are not reproduced to my knowledge, but can be rechromed.

You can drop the whole assembly out the bottom.

As for the two trim, they are not reproduced to my knowledge, but can be rechromed.
Thanks for confirmation, on a lift id say this would be the easiest way to go.

My parts for the top are crumbling/unusable so I may have to improvise

Thanks for confirmation, on a lift id say this would be the easiest way to go.

My parts for the top are crumbling/unusable so I may have to improvise
would be a temporary fix, but you might use a piece of 1/4'' mylar trim. the kind you buy in a roll at the local china zone.

would be a temporary fix, but you might use a piece of 1/4'' mylar trim. the kind you buy in a roll at the local china zone.
I was told today by the legendary auto guy that the top I would be getting came all the way down to the bottom of the A-pillar, he said that at that point it just sort of rolled over onto itself and there would be no trim needed if I decided to do it that way?

Ill have to see if I can find a picture of what he is talking about somewhere on the internet and maybe I will duplicate that

I was told today by the legendary auto guy that the top I would be getting came all the way down to the bottom of the A-pillar, he said that at that point it just sort of rolled over onto itself and there would be no trim needed if I decided to do it that way?

Ill have to see if I can find a picture of what he is talking about somewhere on the internet and maybe I will duplicate that
I guess that could work. Later cars it came to bottom of the pillar. But still had metal trim across end.

2018-01-23 19.44.53.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Ill need to come up with something

Engine out the bottom is just as much or more trouble than the traditional way.
But putting it back in is IMO a real PITA.
Do not take the upper control arms out or you will have to get the car re-aligned.
You will need some kind of alignment system to put her back in and nothing is stable on the loose K. I built a nice rolling stand for the works. I used it once. Then went back to out the top.I built a real nice engine-tilter, and was problem solved.
Good luck

Engine out the bottom is just as much or more trouble than the traditional way.
But putting it back in is IMO a real PITA.
Do not take the upper control arms out or you will have to get the car re-aligned.
You will need some kind of alignment system to put her back in and nothing is stable on the loose K. I built a nice rolling stand for the works. I used it once. Then went back to out the top.I built a real nice engine-tilter, and was problem solved.
Good luck
I decided I didnt want to free up my lift today so I just took it out the old fashioned way

-
Back