engine removal tips

-

kickywow

Reaction score
removing my 318 this week and making room for a 360, removing tranny witht the engine out the top all is disconnected, mount bolts are still on coming out soon, tips for taking it all out the top?

Nick8)

hood is already off, is having a chain by itself good enough or should i invest in one of the plates that mount to the intake?

i have used a chain without a plate everytime i have pulled my motors. One thing though, is on either side of the hoist hook, put a bolt with nut thru the chain link on either side. This prevents the hook from sliding on the chain which can and will cause big problems....hurting you or the car. Trush me...I have done it. Also, make sure the legs on the hoist are extended out as far as the main hoist boom......or else the hoist tips forward (been there also)

Here you go.

CIMG2744.jpg

CIMG2751.jpg

CIMG2769.jpg

CIMG2778.jpg

I just pulled mine and I made sure I adjusted the engine hoist hook towards the front of the chain so when you begin to pull it, the front of the engine is able to come up and clear the radiator support while allowing the bell and then tailshaft to clear the firewall....Make sure you have a drain pan under the tail shaft if you don't leave the slip yoke in....Come up and out slowly and make sure everything is disconnected.

Also, make sure your hoist will come up high enough to allow the pan to clear the support....My hoist was low on fluid and I didn't know it until it was too late....I had to drop her back down and bleed the ol' dog.

Good luck.

I like to remove the crank pulley to give me a little more room with the radiator support.

I usually place a floor jack with wheels under the tail shaft of the trans so it does not drag on the floor.

If your paint is in good shape blankets over the fenders, cowl, and inner fenders is a good idea.

Jack the rear of the car up in the air. Provides a better angle to get the engine out through the top.

Take the hood off.

Use a baggie on the rear of the tranny w/ a rubberband to keep fluid from leaking. You can also let air out of the front tires as needed for additional clearance of the core support. Sometimes the crane doesn't seem to go high enough....:pale:

well i checked this thread while at school and there was one post, come home and there was 12 more, engine was out beofre i read all this went went easy i managed to get one of those rods for removing engines that adjusts the angle! so easy that way.

btw thanks for all the replies, and i like that purple swinger that was how mine look original!

Nick

with all the tools it went perfect, i drained the tranny beofr ehnad and forgot to put the bag on and nothing leaked out.

-
Back