engine stand?

-

Ben Drinkin

Hey bartender!
Reaction score
Looking to fab up a rolling engine/trans stand. K frame bolts to the stand, trans mount bolts on in the rear. A spool mount 318/904 will go on first. A /6 with a 833OD would be next. Might set it up to function as a test stand. Question is, are dimensions from k frame to trans mount going to be different for sb vs /6?

None just the location of the motor mounts.
I built a nice run stand, I can take better pictures of it in the morning.

7xbb.jpg

I didn't put a lot of effort into the cart I made.
It was kind of a last minute kind of deal to get
the engine installed with stuff I had laying around.
It has two pegs that the holes in the bottom of k-frame sets
onto. Can't slide off but not bolted. Left the k-frame mounting holes free for bolting to frame rails.
I just set a 2x4 under the headers to support the back.
It just fit between the cherry picker legs.
Not fancy but worked well.

Attachments

• IMG_20150921_194901_418.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_20150618_214041_551 (1).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 351
I would think that if you make your transmission mount, and then bolt any popular engine/transmission combo up....and then square it up with the k frame attached, and then make provisions on the rack to mount said k frame. After that, any other combo of motor/trans/k frame should bolt right in the same spot. The frame rails, torsion bar cross members and stuff in our old cars is all the same, and what makes the difference is the k frame and motor mounts. On your rack, you would just have to make the front portion adjustable so you could mount an A body k frame, or B/E body k frames. Make sense?

Question is, are dimensions from k frame to trans mount going to be different for sb vs /6?

you only need to consider the conversion mounts to answer that question...nope

if you build it to /6 specs you can run a V8 in there with the proper conversion mounts

SSBA makes a good point it fitting in between the legs of a cherry pickers, that definitely makes things easier

Thanks for all the info/suggestions. Didn't consider making the k-frame mounts adjustable to handle B,E,early As... Great input. I'll post up when i get her together.

#-o Doh! I forgot about early A's! Make it just narrow enough for early A's, then a wee bit wider for 67-76 A's, then another place for B & E body k frames since those 2 have the same spacing. As an added bonus on B & E k frames, you would only need one or the other to bolt on and do run ins. The motor mount locations on B & E are the same for SB and BB on both. The difference in a B & E k frame is the angle that the steering box is mounted, and that doesn't mean a hill of beans on a test stand....lol. In order to test anything you want, the fantasy list of k frames would be,

1- 64-66 A body (same k frame for / 6 or V8)
2-67-72 A body /6
3-67-72 A body V8
4-73-76 A body /6
5-73-76 A body V8
6-66-72 B or E body V8
7-66-72 B or E body Hemi (this IS a fantasy list!) :D

You could shorten the list, and only keep the bare minimum of k frames laying around strictly to test on. You could get by with numbers 2, and 6 if you wanted to. Most of us would just point to # 7 laying in the corner and say "Lookie what I've got!" lol Good luck. :prayer:

#-o Doh! I forgot about early A's! Make it just narrow enough for early A's, then a wee bit wider for 67-76 A's, then another place for B & E body k frames since those 2 have the same spacing. As an added bonus on B & E k frames, you would only need one or the other to bolt on and do run ins. The motor mount locations on B & E are the same for SB and BB on both. The difference in a B & E k frame is the angle that the steering box is mounted, and that doesn't mean a hill of beans on a test stand....lol. In order to test anything you want, the fantasy list of k frames would be,

1- 64-66 A body (same k frame for / 6 or V8)
2-67-72 A body /6
3-67-72 A body V8
4-73-76 A body /6
5-73-76 A body V8
6-66-72 B or E body V8
7-66-72 B or E body Hemi (this IS a fantasy list!) :D

You could shorten the list, and only keep the bare minimum of k frames laying around strictly to test on. You could get by with numbers 2, and 6 if you wanted to. Most of us would just point to # 7 laying in the corner and say "Lookie what I've got!" lol Good luck. :prayer:

Wow! Thank you. That's a wealth of info.

-
Back