Engine Swap. 360 in a 65 dart 270

-

CG65Dart270

Reaction score
Does anybody have some helpful info on swapping a 318 for a 360 in a 65 dart? I have the original mounts from the 318 and the mounts from the 360 are still attached to it. its an early model 360 out of an RV. im not sure on the exact year, I still have to clean it up and get the numbers off the block. Will I have to swap mounts or will they fit? and would anybody have any suggestions on what headers to use that will clear the steering box?

I am swapping a 360 stroker into my 65 Barracuda. It had a 318 in it when I bought it. Tons of guys are going to tell you to use washers/spacers & cut/weld your mounts. Don't do it. It is a little pricey but buy these conversion mounts & grab the torque strap also while your at it.
http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsYear/63.66aBody.html
or Mancini: http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/19abslan6orv.html
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/bentost.html
It is a bit pricey but they are very nice looking, high quality & fit perfectly.
The guy at Schumacher was not very friendly when I called there so I ordered mine from Mancini.
As for headers, if it is power steering, I don't think any will fit. Sanderson supposedly makes a pair that will but they never returned a buddy's emails & no one on here has installed them yet to see if they do. If it is manual steering, you can try to find some Spitfires or pony up for the expensive ones like TTI or possibly Doug's, not sure because I don't have that kind of money. :banghead:
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, I am in the middle of doing this & learning as I go. I will help if I can. Good luck!

get your pre-made or modded mounts, a bushing for your convertor snout to fit all later cranks (besides manual) and then deal with exhaust. Dimenssionaly they are identical, exhaust will be biggest hurdle.

Thanks for the info and the links they have already been helpful, it should save me a lot of headache! Im learning as I go on this project as well. Most of anything im familiar with is all Chevy related mostly trucks which is as easy as it gets as far as swapping anything. so working on a dodge has me scratching my head and asking a lot of questions lol.

if that 360 is out of an RV or van or truck it may still have the big steel part of the motor mounts on it,,those come in handy in a lot of swaps,,,may fit your car as well but you wont have the rubber insulator for coushin the 360 exhaust manifold on the drivers side will not fit your car,,,either save the one from the 318??? or get headers of some sort,,,and only choose headers for the early A 1963 to 1966 1967 and newer headers will not fit,,,dont let them tell you they will,,,

I used the Schumacher mounts on my 360 swap,worked great.You might want to use a 90* oil filter adapter also.Layson,s now sells the Early-A 63-66 headers $$(same as Spitfire headers.I,m sure you know to change to a car oilpan and pickup.Good luck.

the 360 is out of a 70s motor home (64,*** original miles). so yeah it has the big steal mounts, I'm going with the schumacher mounts with the torque straps as suggested. they're priced pretty reasonably. I figured that the manifolds off the 318 would convert to the 360 but am looking to put headers on it once I have the $$ but im still aways out from there. I DO still have to replace the oil pan and go through and replace all of the seals on the 360 before its ready. would the oil pain off the 318 I pulled swap over to the 360, if it can would it be worth the time to swap it or should I go with an aftermarket?

You are going to have trouble sealing the 318 manifolds on the 360. There is a recent post that covered this. I will see if I can find it
Doug

Edit:318 exhaust manifolds on a 360

-
Back