engine to trans. bracket?

-
If it's the same size engine, they should be the same bracket. I think it was just the 360's that were oddball from the rest of the small blocks. There may have been a year change in the late 70's too where they changed to a different length.....but it had to do with the engine.....not the transmission. The boss on the engine block is just in a slightly different location.

Thanks Mark. Yeah later 360's used a longer brace. Not sure why Mopar did it but they moved the boss, as you suggested, and that required a longer brace. I just installed my new 408 that's built from a 73 360 block and my old 360 that was in it was a 79 and the brace is too long so somewhere in between is when Ma made the switch. I found a guy with a brace from a 68 318/904 combo but wasn't sure it'd be the same since they call for a different torque converter dust cover. I have never compared them side by side to see what the diff. is in the 904 and 727 covers but I wondered if they might have moved the bolt position slightly, or??? I don't want to buy this brace then find out it'll only fit a 904 if you know what I mean. The only one thing I do know is the early 360 like my 73 used the same brace as a 340 cause I compared it to a buddy's 70 340 block last year, but that's the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Thanks again for your input. Hoping some can tell me something positive one way or the other cause I'm needing it pretty soon.

I have a bunch of those brackets if you know the length you need.....
Thanks, Mark

not to hi-jack but can anyone post a pic of this brace and it's location because there wasn't any brace on my 318 when I pulled it and don't have one on my 410 which could sure use some sort of torque brace, I was looking at one of the dampened torque straps being sold as a way one reinforcing the drivers side mount but they mount up front behind the PS pump ,something for the back by the tranny sounds like a welcome addition

not to hi-jack but can anyone post a pic of this brace and it's location because there wasn't any brace on my 318 when I pulled it and don't have one on my 410 which could sure use some sort of torque brace, I was looking at one of the dampened torque straps being sold as a way one reinforcing the drivers side mount but they mount up front behind the PS pump ,something for the back by the tranny sounds like a welcome addition

If your wanting something to supplement the engine mount to help hold the engine down the brace I'm talking about wont do that. It just runs from the engine block to the transmission. I run a Schumaker interlocking engine mount on the left side and it does a great job of holding the engine down plus it doesn't transfer vibrations like a solid motor mount. Their a little expensive ($150 a set, only sold in sets) but their super easy to install. You might look into them. If you have a buddy that is also looking for a stronger engine mount you could go in with him and buy a set and each of you just use one on the drivers side (the torque side). I did that with a buddy which worked out great for both of us. Schumaker only sells them in sets cause they claim you need them on each side but IMO that's bullhockey unless you plan on racing in reverse cause the engine tilts right under acceleration in drive. The only time the right side mount is stressed is when you floor it in reverse. If your engine to trans. brace is missing like mine you could still find one and install it. It gives a little more engine to trans. support.

I'm already planning on going to the Schumaker mounts ,and I think thats where I saw the dampened torque strap , when I got the car back I found the lower starter bolt 1/2 out and the block to bell housing bolt that is tucked in above the starter { the "impossible bolt" as I call it } was missing so I am now trying to brace and secure this thing every way I can come up with LOL .

I have a bunch of those brackets if you know the length you need.....
Thanks, Mark

Mark I did my best to get a measurement but with the odd shape it's pretty hard to get an exact measurement but I'd call it 10-3/4". I had the right bracket for the early style originally but needed the longer one for my 79 engine that was in the car and welded an extension on it. I took a pic and attached it to show the orientation of it when I measured it. Let me know if you have one. Thanks, Tracy

Attachments

• Engine to trans.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 238
I used the pass. side one from a 73 318 on my 77 360,the d.side would,nt fit.So I,m gonna do the weld/cut/weld thing to it and make it fit(d.side)Just another winter project while the car sits idle.Thanks for the reminder Tracy.

I'm already planning on going to the Schumaker mounts ,and I think thats where I saw the dampened torque strap , when I got the car back I found the lower starter bolt 1/2 out and the block to bell housing bolt that is tucked in above the starter { the "impossible bolt" as I call it } was missing so I am now trying to brace and secure this thing every way I can come up with LOL .

Ok. I forgot Schumaker has the torque strap too. I had the same thing happen to a car back when I was a kid except my luck was worse. It cracked the bellhousing cause everything came loose. The person that installed the trans. before me also might not have tightened the bolts good enough contributing to the problem. After that deal I learned to make sure bellhousing bolts are tight enough and not to leave anything off. If you look at my post above to Mark you'll see a pic of my old bracket.

BTW: what engine do you have and what year is it?

I used the pass. side one from a 73 318 on my 77 360,the d.side would,nt fit.So I,m gonna do the weld/cut/weld thing to it and make it fit(d.side)Just another winter project while the car sits idle.Thanks for the reminder Tracy.

My passenger side was also from a 318 and fit. Don't know why Ma had to make the drivers side different on the later 360's. It's pretty easy to lengthen them. I made the extension and bolted it to the old bracket, installed it and tightened things down good to get it positioned then took it off and welded it.

I have one of Brians 410s so its a 360 block going to 904 now

Ok. You'll probably need a different one than I do. Barracudakid PM'd me that he has one for a 904 trans. You might do a search for him and PM him. Or if your an e-Bayer I saw a couple sets on there for 904 transmissions for about $25.

Mark I did my best to get a measurement but with the odd shape it's pretty hard to get an exact measurement but I'd call it 10-3/4". I had the right bracket for the early style originally but needed the longer one for my 79 engine that was in the car and welded an extension on it. I took a pic and attached it to show the orientation of it when I measured it. Let me know if you have one. Thanks, Tracy
Shouldn't be a problem.....I must have 50-60 of those things on a shelf but I'll go through them tomorrow and separate them out and see if one of mine matches the length you need.

Ok. You'll probably need a different one than I do. Barracudakid PM'd me that he has one for a 904 trans. You might do a search for him and PM him. Or if your an e-Bayer I saw a couple sets on there for 904 transmissions for about $25.
Thanks I have Eddie on speed dial LOL , my phone pocket dialed him for a 15 minute call one day tying up his phone in the process I'll give him a call and see if he still has it .

Your welcome and good luck with the project
....................................................................................................
Here's the two versions I have of the short, driver side, braces. The one without the heat shield is the earlier of the two.

Attachments

• 100_0826.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 194
....................................................................................................
Here's the two versions I have of the short, driver side, braces. The one without the heat shield is the earlier of the two.

Never saw one with a heat shield. Not sure it would clear my headers so the other one should work. I'll PM you about it.

CudaMark was right in his initial post that it has nothing to do with the transmission. 904 braces fit a 727 just fine. The only difference is the later 360's (1975 or newer I think) take a longer bracket. I bought some from Mark and they bolted right on. Just thought I'd let everyone know so in the future if your looking to buy or sell some you know they interchange from 727 to 904.

Thanks to all who answered and Mark for the great deal.

-
Back