Engine to transmission supports

-
Right in the garbage along with stock exhaust manifolds and thermo bog carbs!!!

JDMopar, if you did not know......

The rear tie down brackets were intended to remain there - but there was an issue with them being installed on the wrong sides at times.

There is a 2 page TSB on it at http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1970/D70-13-1 page1.jpg & http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/TSBs/1970/D70-13-1 page2.jpg

You know I had to go down in the basement and stick my head under that spider infested thing and look! LOL. Mine are on correct. :D

Behold, the answer to this question of mopar mystery.

I just stopped by the yard ( yes I have a key to my local salvage yard) and here is a 727 off a 360 and it still has the supports.

I'm not allowed to get dirty today but I'm coming back and yanking those supports and we shall have answers

20191225_162559.jpg

There's you an extra one of those bolts that come in 3 different lengths too! :p

Isn't it great.

I must be a mopar nerd to actually get excited to find an old corroded bracket and even better with the bolt :realcrazy:

Last edited:
It seems the difference is just the left side strut for the LA engines sometime after '69.

'67 & 69 Parts book shows:
Right Strut 2204 702
Left Strut 2466 009

'74 Parts Book shows:
Right Strut 2204 702
Left Strut 2464 552 A & E bodies
Left Strut 3681 658 (has one oblong hole) B bodies

For the attaching screws, books are a little confusing but it appears the earlier strut attaches to the engine with a smaller dia screw.
7/16-14 x 1 1/8 (AR)
3/8-16 x 1" Qty (2) ('69)
7/16-14 x 1 7/8 (1) for left side, to transmission case.
3/8-16 x 7/8 (1) for left side, strut to engine block. ('67)

'74 Parts Book shows:
Screw w/ Washer
7/16-14 x 1 1/8"

It seems the difference is just the left side strut for the LA engines sometime after '69.

Right Strut 2204 702
Left Strut 2466 009

'74 Parts Book shows:
Right Strut 2204 702
Left Strut 2464 552 A & E bodies
Left Strut 3681 658 (has one oblong hole) B bodies

For the attaching screws, books are a little confusing but it appears the earlier strut attaches to the engine with a smaller dia screw.
7/16-14 x 1 1/8 (AR)
3/8-16 x 1" Qty (2) ('69)
3/8-16 x 7/8 (1) for left side, strut to engine block. ('67)

'74 Parts Book shows:
Screw w/ Washer
7/16-14 x 1 1/8"
I wonder how early if V8 had these struts.

Would an early 60s 273 have them ??

At this point I am starting to think a 360 has a unique left side.

The reason i think it is because i have not really revealed the project here but the story is that it's a 74 duster. Bought from another member, this car had a locked 318. So the 318 came out and a running 360 took its place.

The 904 is still the same one from the 318 and I installed a B&M flex plate to adapt the internal vs. External balance problem.

So the struts that don't fit the 360 are the original ones to the car with a 318.

The transmission in the weeds is out of the same car as the running 360. I had only bought the engine from the yard and they scraped the car so I had to ask them what they did with the unsold 727 and they pointed to a pile. Luckily they didn't toss the original 360 struts and they are there. I am probably going back to pull the 360 struts off that 727, actually I am going to bring the whole 727 home. Maybe tomorrow after work if I can recruit some strong help to load the 727 and get it home.

20191207_170708.jpg

20191207_170659.jpg

20191210_145952.jpg

20191210_170031.jpg

HA! I win the prize! In 1976 Chrysler started making their starters a little longer, so they moved the bosses on the block forward 1 inch and longer supports. I'm pretty sure 904 and 727 used the same length supports-short up to that point and long after. So 1975 and earlier-short, 1976 and later-long.

Correction. 81 and up 318 moved the boss forward on the left side-1 inch longer. 76 and later 360 moved the boss forward 1 inch by my source. I have sets of both short and long, so I thought they changed the length on both sides- I'm not sure.

Right in the garbage along with stock exhaust manifolds and thermo bog carbs!!!
Why stop there?
Ditch all parts small bolt pattern related, cast iron intake and heads, all of the unboltable sheet metal should be replaced with race glass or carbon fiber, power steering, alternator, all windshield wiper related parts, heater, replace all glass with lexan, all factory wiring and interior, rolling stock, and rear end with the leaf spring suspension.
Now that we're getting somewhere, punt the small block into the weeds and build an engine that has a 5 or higher in it as the first number for the displacement, preferably at least 1000 horsepower naturally aspirated, with a lenco transmission, ford 9'' rear end and 4 link, wilwood discs all around, and a chrome moly funny car cage.
I'm just havin' fun here, but it brings up the topic of where do you start and where does it end?

Rani....wow, you scored a 360 out of a car? That's awesome, and will save you the trouble of changing the oil pan. The first time I used a B&M flex plate like that, I had a brain fart and forgot to mate it up to the converter and mark both parts to line up. I bolted it on and dropped the motor in. Yep.....it lined up on the 3rd try rotating it! :BangHead: LOL

Just for fun, compare the VIN on the block to the one on the 727 when you get it to see if they were a matched pair.

They serve a purpose and I always use them.I have seen broken bell housings and the bottom ears broken off of the block too.
Why only believe in half of the engineering?
And yes Rainy length is determined by trans
904 or 727 Merry Christmas. :)
Yep, a racing buddy had a serious vibration going down the track, because he was not running these supports, there's nothing for the bottom half of a 904 or 727 to bolt up to. He installed a set and shazaam no more vibration. My trans builder insisted that I run these.
I've only run a 904, but it sounds right that the 727 supports would be longer imo.
Higgs

Rainy- Your 360 must be a 76 or newer. I've looked in several parts manuals and it shows no difference between 904 and 727. In some years body style determines which part number it uses on the left side. Get the brace from that transmission and you should be good. Unless it's a different year trans.

Rainy- Your 360 must be a 76 or newer. I've looked in several parts manuals and it shows no difference between 904 and 727. In some years body style determines which part number it uses on the left side. Get the brace from that transmission and you should be good. Unless it's a different year trans.
The p/n I posted above are from '67, 69 and '74 Chrysler, Plympouth, Dodge part books.

Rani....wow, you scored a 360 out of a car? That's awesome, and will save you the trouble of changing the oil pan. The first time I used a B&M flex plate like that, I had a brain fart and forgot to mate it up to the converter and mark both parts to line up. I bolted it on and dropped the motor in. Yep.....it lined up on the 3rd try rotating it! :BangHead: LOL
Yea, the first time I tried putting the torque convertor bolts on , it didnt line up and I thought something was wrong.

I turned it 2 bolt spots and it lined up and all four went in.

I was expecting the flat spot of the flex plate to correspond with the torque convertor drain plug but that's not how it ended up when the 4 bolt holes lined up.

Engine came from a 77 Chrysler newport. It's a factory 4 bbl. Engine.

I know they used the 360 a lot in those cars but I'm thinking an original 4 bbl. One ought to be somewhat scarce. I have seen a lot of C bodies with 360 2 bbl.

Just for fun, compare the VIN on the block to the one on the 727 when you get it to see if they were a matched pair.
I didnt get it home today as planned but i checked and the 360 engine and the transmission in the weeds do have the same vin stamps which match the scrapped car. When ever I buy an engine I always write the vin of the vehicle it came from and take a picture of the donor vehicle to document it all for future reference.

Yea, I'm a nerd :)

Rani....just for the heck of it, next time you're under the car, measure from the very back edge of the block flange that the bellhousing bolts to....to the center of that hole the trans brace bolts to. See if it's 9" + or - a fraction of a fraction. That's what I measured on both a 318 and a 340 in my basement. I still believe the difference is between the 904 and 727......not the 318 and 360.

No difference between 904 and 727! 9" all 340, 9" 318 80 and earlier, 9" 360 75 and earlier, 10" 318 81 and later, 10" 360 76 and later.

-
Back