engine/wheel dyno results

-

terry

Reaction score
ok i'm sure some one can trouble shoot my question. if some one has there engine dyno'd with a result of lets say 450 horses at the flywheel but at the rear tires it come down to maybe 330 horses. how does a person recope some of the lost horsepower from engine to rear tires?
thanks for your input
terry

Light rotating parts, That means transmission internals, Driveshaft, axles, rims and tires. Also light weight oils in the trans and rear.

ok i'm sure some one can trouble shoot my question. if some one has there engine dyno'd with a result of lets say 450 horses at the flywheel but at the rear tires it come down to maybe 330 horses. how does a person recope some of the lost horsepower from engine to rear tires?
thanks for your input
terry

Is this and auto or manual tranny and what kind of rear end is in it eg. 8 3/4 or 9 inch ford.

The other Terry

A 27% power loss seems alittle high, I thought that the average loss from flywheel to rear-wheels is around 20%

again this reference of horsepower was only a reference.i would be interested in anyone's actuals if they had them to share.
terry

again this reference of horsepower was only a reference.i would be interested in anyone's actuals if they had them to share.
terry

I'll let you know later this year when mine goes on the chassis dyno, at present she's 480 at the flywheel then we'll see what she is on the rollers.

Terry:burnout:

You have to realize that some engine dyno's are "Happy", meaning that they read a little more than actual hp to keep the customers happy. So if you couple a happy dyno with a chassis dyno that may be calibrated a little low, and you can get something that looks like you have a lot of driveline losses, when in fact you don't.

You have to realize that some engine dyno's are "Happy", meaning that they read a little more than actual hp to keep the customers happy. So if you couple a happy dyno with a chassis dyno that may be calibrated a little low, and you can get something that looks like you have a lot of driveline losses, when in fact you don't.

Ain't that the truth.

I know of one engine dyno in the LA area that consistently runs about 10% higher than another dyno. Funny thing, the "stingy" dyno is almost spot on when cars hit the track for mph/weight calculation... :-k

Yet the stingy dyno operator always gets told his dyno isn't right... OK

In my experience, the biggest contributor to loss in a auto trans is a power torque converter for the combo.

-
Back