Engine won't crank with key, but will if I jump the relay

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just like the title says....the key does nothing. ..I don't even hear the relay click...but I can jump the relay and it turns over....

Where should I look?

Jeff

Neutral safety switch is the 1st place I would look. Will it start if you put the key in the "run" position and jump it under the hood? If so, turn the key off and see if it kills the engine. If so, I doubt the key/ignition switch. I assume it worked fine by the key before, so I highly doubt the ignition switch. I think your still entangled with the neutral safety switch....
But kind of hard when your in Cali and I'm in Ill. :)

quick test is put a wire on the NSS relay terminal and run in to negative battery terminal ....then turn key and see if it cranks...If it does your NSS is bad or shifter linkage is not adjusted properly or something wrong with the rooster comb in trans......but make sure car is in park or neutral so it doesn't lunge forward or reverse as this bypasses the safety mechanism

neutral safety switch provide ground to the starter relay switch went the trans is in park and neutral...

On the starter relay switch find the terminal with a G on it....Ground.......ground it out with a wire ...see if the engine cranks...if so...the problem is the NSS...might have just fell off

Ok...it starts if I jump it, but with my girlfriend in the car holding the brake, it wants to move ....it's NOT going into park.

How do I properly adjust that linkage?

I've googled it high and low and all I find is how to adjust the kickdown linkage. ..not the shift linkage. ..

Jeff

There is the lever coming off the shifter, then a connecting rod, then the lever on the trans.....
Should the lever on t he trans be all the way forward towards the front of the car?

Jeff

Check the NSS...

also word of caution: We bought a new NSS for Eddie's Dart, and it was bad right out of the box... Replaced it with a Mopar one and it fires right up... Quality counts...

Ok...it starts if I jump it, but with my girlfriend in the car holding the brake, it wants to move ....it's NOT going into park.

How do I properly adjust that linkage?

I've googled it high and low and all I find is how to adjust the kickdown linkage. ..not the shift linkage. ..

Jeff

jack up the car with her in it. Have her move the shifter to park, then drive so you can see where the positions are. Then put the trans in neutral, then have her line up the mark with "N" on the shifter and tighten the slide adjustment on the linkage...

Then make sure that it can get into the full range of the gears from Park to 1.... If not adjust as needed...

I got to leave or I'd post pictures.... Is there a member close by that can give Jeff a hand???

There is the lever coming off the shifter, then a connecting rod, then the lever on the trans.....
Should the lever on t he trans be all the way forward towards the front of the car?

Jeff

The rod coming off the shift lever should have a flat on the opposite end and a square looking "adjuster" with a screw. Loosen that and slide up and down the rod until you get the right position...

jack up the car with her in it. Have her move the shifter to park, then drive so you can see where the positions are. Then put the trans in neutral, then have her line up the mark with "N" on the shifter and tighten the slide adjustment on the linkage...

Then make sure that it can get into the full range of the gears from Park to 1.... If not adjust as needed...
And park is all the way towards the front of the car - yes?

Try looking in the 68 service manual starting on page 21-46:

Here's a link to download a free one, this is the one I got the screen caps off of...

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Shift Link 01.jpg

Console shift linkage.jpg

Console shiftr 02.png

Last edited:
Awesome!
I'll try again. ...I can NOT seem to find park....???
Jeff

I like to use neutral for my baseline/datum. Count two clicks from park, then set the shifter in neutral and tighten. There's more range for error at the ends of the spectrum...

I don't think I'm finding park...ugh.
when I'm put the shift lever park (not the shifter...the lever on the transmission ) I can still roll the wheels back and forth. .....

Jeff

Park is all the way to the rear...

loosen the slide on the linkage and manually move the shift lever to the farthest rearward position, that should be park...

Or go all the way forward with the shift lever - that's first gear, then click through 2-D-then go to N... Set the shifter in the car to N and tighten nut on shift linkage, then verify by moving the shifter through all of the gears...

Park is all the way to the rear...

loosen the slide on the linkage and manually move the shift lever to the farthest rearward position, that should be park...

Or go all the way forward with the shift lever - that's first gear, then click through 2-D-then go to N... Set the shifter in the car to N and tighten nut on shift linkage, then verify by moving the shifter through all of the gears...

I'll give that a try in a few! It's working my last nerve!
Jeff

Ok...here's the latest

Counted the clicks and put the transmission in neutral
Put shifter in neutral
tightened connecting shaft
Put shifter (and transmission) in park
Turn key - nothing....not even a click at the relay. Nothing in neutral either.

To reiterate, this all started when putting on my Bouchillon throttle pressure cable. When I first went underneath the car I saw there was NO wires connected to the NSS.

I'm really thinking it's something to do with NSS though.....
I can start the car by jumping the relay...also replaced the relay and same thing.

How do I bypass that NSS?????

Jeff

-
Back