Enough room for 15x10 on a Demon?

-
Makes sense. What I like to get is a little bulky look like in the following pic. Is that a 295 tire on a 8" rim or maybe 275 on an even smaller rim? Its not an extreme tire but gives the look I like for the Demon:

12794883_1016793841747524_544183911022691824_o.jpg

I made a closeup and brighten it a little. Looks to me like 275ish on a smaller rim or what you guys think?

12439101_1016796025080639_8600012565930539647_n.jpg

275 is as wide as you can go with the stock spring location if you actually plan on having the wheels inside the quarters. A 295 requires at least a 1/2" spring offset, as well as trimming or rolling the quarter lips.

I did a test fit on my Duster with a set of 275's before I moved or cut anything, they fit but they're fairly tight if the car sits low. 295's will not fit on a car that sits close to the stock ride height or lower with the stock spring location. I run 295's on my duster now with a set of 18x10" rims, but I also use a 1/2" spring offset and cut the quarter lips back by almost a 1/2". At my ride height the 295 is absolutely as wide as you can go even with those modifications, before I added my 7/8" sway bar I would occasionally get some rubbing on the inside fender well going over speedbumps etc when the body of the car moved around. Since the addition of the sway bar I don't get any rubbing, and I run 121 lb/in rear leaf springs. But I'm also right on the "bump" on the outer fender well with any suspension travel. It doesn't rub, but it's right there. Eventually I'll probably do a "reverse" mini-tub and modify the outer wheel tub to remove the "bump" and make the outer wheel tub go straight up from the quarter lip instead of angling in. That would let me lower the car a little more.

This is my car with the 295's. The first picture gives you an idea of how wide the tire looks from the back, although it's a little deceptive with my ride height, and I've lowered the car slightly since then. The second picture gives you a better idea of my ride height.

IMG_2251_zpslw7ccgzu.jpg

Here's the current ride height
IMG_2484a_zpscao5szar.jpg

Now, about this...
14X10s with N50 tires on a duster, same wheel well
springs in stock location

This picture is hilarious. That tire does not in any way, shape or form fit this car. It's hanging 2" outside the quarter. That car is at 4x4 height, and you can't lower it or the quarters will cut the tires apart. The car has been raised significantly, which is easy to see because there's a good 3" of space between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel opening. It's ridiculous to say that tire fits that car. If that's the definition of "fit", you could run a set of 35x12.5x15 super swampers, because they would fit about the same. Anything will fit if you hang the wheel outside of the quarters, the spring location and size of the wheel well is completely irrelevant at that point.

Yeah I agree. When I mean fit, I would like to to align with the fender lip, or however that is called. If the bulk is coming out a little is fine but in my taste at least the thread of the tire have to be inside. Those 295 look great from the rear. I guess I will go with the 275 for now with a rim that gives it a bit of a bulk like in the pics I posted before yours. Any idea what tire/rim size that might be?

Yeah I agree. When I mean fit, I would like to to align with the fender lip, or however that is called. If the bulk is coming out a little is fine but in my taste at least the thread of the tire have to be inside. Those 295 look great from the rear. I guess I will go with the 275 for now with a rim that gives it a bit of a bulk like in the pics I posted before yours. Any idea what tire/rim size that might be?

With the stock spring locations and the tires inside the wheel wells 275 is the best you can really expect to do. Some cars might be able to get away with a 285, but on most cars that would take a significant amount of cutting/rolling of the quarter lips and would still be really tight.

With a stock A-body 8 3/4 rear axle and 275/60/15's I would be looking for a 15x8 or 15x9" rim. The 15x8 would be more common and easier to find. If you keep the 5x4" SBP in the back you'd probably want about 5" of backspace, if you upgrade to 5x4.5" axles and brakes you'd want about 5.25" of backspace. Both of those would be for the stock spring locations.

As for the wheels on the car you posted, not really sure and there's no good way to tell without knowing the tire specs. They look fairly wide, possibly 275's on there. If that's the case, then you'd be looking for the rim sizes I posted above.

That is really helpful. Thanks man! Yeah, 15x8 have some options in 5x4, not great but ok I guess.

Now, about this...

This picture is hilarious. That tire does not in any way, shape or form fit this car. It's hanging 2" outside the quarter. That car is at 4x4 height, and you can't lower it or the quarters will cut the tires apart. The car has been raised significantly, which is easy to see because there's a good 3" of space between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel opening. It's ridiculous to say that tire fits that car. If that's the definition of "fit", you could run a set of 35x12.5x15 super swampers, because they would fit about the same. Anything will fit if you hang the wheel outside of the quarters, the spring location and size of the wheel well is completely irrelevant at that point.

this picture is perhaps the best answer to the OPs question because it shows what the wheels he is considering bolting up will look like

and I have raised the rear end a few more inches since that picture was taken
just to get the look right :cheers:

this picture is perhaps the best answer to the OPs question because it shows what the wheels he is considering bolting up will look like

and I have raised the rear end a few more inches since that picture was taken
just to get the look right :cheers:

The best answer to the OP's question is that the wheels he originally wanted don't fit. Because they don't.

Raised it up a few more inches huh? Told ya 35's would fit. #-o

00W0W_bGbltYbu4za_600x450.jpg

hey, now there is a good looking winterbeater
how much are you asking for it ?

bucket seats too. I like it

I'd drive that back to GA.....

The best answer to the OP's question is that the wheels he originally wanted don't fit. Because they don't.

Raised it up a few more inches huh? Told ya 35's would fit. #-o

00W0W_bGbltYbu4za_600x450.jpg

I think I've seen that car before. I believe it was in Yuma, AZ

If you have enough power to need that wide of tires, I wouldn't go with wheels that take conical nuts. If it's just for looks, it would be ok.

Huh? 80% of wheels out there take conical nuts. Unless your using drag wheels or certain aluminum ones

hey, now there is a good looking winterbeater
how much are you asking for it ?

I think I've seen that car before. I believe it was in Yuma, AZ

You are correct. It's from a craigslist ad out of Arizona, about a year and a half ago. I just kept the pictures. Bangshift has an article on it, but it just consists of the for sale ad. They also incorrectly thought it had a truck frame under it. It doesn't, the owner kept the original K frame to locate the engine and welded leaf spring mounts to the frame to sling an axle under there. Which was actually why I downloaded the pictures.

Well, that and so that I had a picture to post when people say that any tire that hangs 2" out of the wheel well "fits". If those are the parameters, everything fits. ;)

00c0c_aJtwNGrUwnE_600x450 copy.jpg

00r0r_gGqydeEwqeN_600x450 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Blu, if you pull the wheels off the silver Demon and mount em up with those 35" swampers I will take it. :D Another Mopar bites the dust as the hands of a tweeker. Your pics look like Mt Shasta area or Chico.

cant go wrong with the classics
...unless you order the wrong backspacing...

Those 275/60R15s are gonna rub the springs with 4.5" BS
I run the same tire on 15x8 Cragers w/ 4.25 BS and only have 3/8" clearance to stock springs, and get a light rub sometimes.

Well, not much to chose from that looks good too, so I will order these when Im ready with 275 in the rear.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/usm-u10115805445/overview/

Anybody knows another source for wheels other than Summit and Classic Industries in 5x4?

I absolutely LOVE the Black Rock series but they only make one size in 5x4 weirdly and its 15x10.

http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/brw-997513440/overview/

They only come in wide sizes because they are jeep/truck wheels. Thus the name "Rock Series"

Huh? 80% of wheels out there take conical nuts. Unless your using drag wheels or certain aluminum ones

And that's why I said "If you have enough power to need that wide of tires, I wouldn't go with wheels that take conical nuts. If it's just for looks, it would be ok."

To me, there's no need for 295's unless he's pushing a lot of power and needs to get it to the ground, in which case, there's a good chance he'll be taking it to the track. I also said that if it was just for looks, conical would be fine. They would probably work at the track, too, but I personally wouldn't.

More than 80% of cars out there don't make enough power to need shouldered nuts, which is probably a good indicator as to why 80% of wheels out there take conical nuts.

...unless you order the wrong backspacing...

Those 275/60R15s are gonna rub the springs with 4.5" BS
I run the same tire on 15x8 Cragers w/ 4.25 BS and only have 3/8" clearance to stock springs, and get a light rub sometimes.

Thats what I can use spacers between wheel and axle right? Excuse me if some words arent correct. English is not my first language. Well meanwhile it is, but I still dont know all words, especially technical.

I definitely moved away from the 15x10 idea, thanks to your guys help. I am aiming for 15x8 wheel and most likely 275/61-15 tires, as they seem easier to get too.

I just checked one out, and you are absolutely correct. And we all know that those low-profile tires wrapped around 20" wheels stick just as good as a tire with 3 times the sidewall.

Hmmm, lets see. According to Dodge, the Hellcat runs an NHRA certified 11.2 second 1/4 mile with the production street tires- so that's as equipped, right off the showroom floor. Yeah, that's pretty slow for a 4,449 lb car. 10.8 with street legal drag radials, but the specs don't mention the diameter of the rims used for the drag radials (if they changed or not). However, since the rear disk brake rotors are 13.8" in diameter, I would guess that they need to be at least 18" rims, because nothing smaller in diameter will fit on the car.

It's almost like tire technology has improved since they came out with the BFG T/A.

Found a good solution. I am ordering 15x8 rims and found different tires on storage at the local Pep Boys. They told me we can put on 2 tires on the new wheels and then test if I have space. That way I dont waste money buying the wrong tire. I will try first a 295/50-15 and if that doesnt fit I go with 275/60.

-
Back