EQ head issue

-

Boneswell

Reaction score
I couldn't find this particular issue discussed in the archives so pardon me if this has been beat to death already.

I purchased my EQ heads from Clearwater a couple of years ago and they've just been sitting on the shelf unit the car was ready. I decided to change the cam so I have the heads at the machine shop getting milled and new springs installed.

I'm glad that I brought them in because the found a couple of problems.

1) Clearwater did a pretty sloppy job of grinding exhaust seats and they need to be repaired. I know now that I should have just bought bare castings.

2) This is on EQ, not Clearwater but 1 head cc'd to 62cc as advertised but the other measured to 67cc. I guess the guy running the mill had a little to much fosters the night before.

None of this is really surprising. It's just a good reminder that you can't just bolt parts together and call it good.

Yeah I got a set if their "monster" heads from Odessa/ Clearwater....... They were horrible! I didn't hesitate to take pucs and call them up. It did no good what so ever because the whack job they have doing the valve job swore up and down that no head left that shop without him doing the valve job and it was impossible that he had stuck 2.02 valves in a 1.94 seat.... Impossible! I told him that dial calipers don't lie and sent pictures which he emailed me back and said my machinist wasn't measuring them right...... But he's been in business close to 20 years so I guess he knows his to do something right lol I wish I would have known all about this before I purchased my set and saved the heartaches....:BangHead:

Yeah I got a set if their "monster" heads from Odessa/ Clearwater....... They were horrible! I didn't hesitate to take pucs and call them up. It did no good what so ever because the whack job they have doing the valve job swore up and down that no head left that shop without him doing the valve job and it was impossible that he had stuck 2.02 valves in a 1.94 seat.... Impossible! I told him that dial calipers don't lie and sent pictures which he emailed me back and said my machinist wasn't measuring them right...... But he's been in business close to 20 years so I guess he knows his to do something right lol I wish I would have known all about this before I purchased my set and saved the heartaches....:BangHead:

How did they work for you once you got them straightened out?

I mounted them on my engine to check valve train clearance, and then realized I would be better off with aluminum heads on a 11:1 comp engine, and sold them to a member on here. I honestly believe they will be a great set of heads for his application though

I mounted them on my engine to check valve train clearance, and then realized I would be better off with aluminum heads on a 11:1 comp engine, and sold them to a member on here. I honestly believe they will be a great set of heads for his application though

Cool! I'll be a smidge under 10:1 and enough overlap to be happy and pump gas. This is also my first foray into running a hydrolic roller.

-
Back