EQ318B Magnum heads discontinued ?

-
I have bought 3 sets of EQ heads over the years or more correctly me 2 and my son 1 set. 1st set about 10 years ago bare worked out great. LA pattern. My son bought some fully dressed ones, LA pattern, OK but had another engine issue and with 6k miles sent them thru machine shop and machinist didn't like what he saw, Im not sure if head issue contributed to his issue or not. this set was ~3 years ago.

I then bought a full dressed set with Magnum pattern, shortly after my son got his/ picked these up myself from EQ Chicago warehouse, this set was JUNK, helped ruin a fresh motor. #4 exhaust stuck open, kissed piston, machine shop said all guides were too tight not just that one, had to pound most valves to get them out.... that set had 6 MILES on it and a couple hours break in/ run time sitting in garage when it got parked. that was my wife's daily, a Durango.

not the 1st set of EQs he has seen with problems. He'd bought a set for a customers engine and had valves sticking on the dyno during break in and basically ruined the whole engine.

My biggest fault there, was waiting 2-1/2 years to dig back into that engine, became my garage ornament because I was PO'd at a job gone bad... had I dug right into it, within the year I bought them, I could have gone after them on warranty.... once I discovered issue, I did a Google search and found out they had lotsa issue son heads in about that timeframe.
They shifted (at least some) production to China, there was a distinguishing feature on the outside of the heads that basically "told" where they were made, I discovered that over the years I bought 1 set of each.... I know my original set that I was so happy with were NZ produced, the problem set, the casting came from China... which pizzed me off, even more.
and I have been told since then, by several, to expect to go thru any set of heads before install whether EQ or Indy or Edelbrock or Dart or whoever.... not what you wanna hear when you just spent big dollars n any new set of heads but I guess it is true.

so whats one to do? I have taken in like 8 sets of stock Magnums over the years and 6-1/2 sets of those have come back "junk/cracked" even though the ones I had taken off of known-running engines, had run fine. who knows how long theyd been running in cracked condition? Could you just cut the cracked metal out and install new seats to get rid of cracks? I have 2 of those 8 sets sitting at a machine shop right now, that I told them to toss in their scrap pile, if they are junk.... would cost me more to spend the gas to go after them and pick up than I could get for them as scrap.

so whats one to do? I have taken in like 8 sets of stock Magnums over the years and 6-1/2 sets of those have come back "junk/cracked" even though the ones I had taken off of known-running engines, had run fine. who knows how long theyd been running in cracked condition? Could you just cut the cracked metal out and install new seats to get rid of cracks? I have 2 of those 8 sets sitting at a machine shop right now, that I told them to toss in their scrap pile, if they are junk.... would cost me more to spend the gas to go after them and pick up than I could get for them as scrap.
Last time I checked you can still get EQ heads with Magnum intake bolt pattern so all is not lost, it was just the LA manifold bolt pattern that was discontinued for now.

I have a set here that were cracked across the intake and exhaust seat, we replaced the seats in both ports which overlap and in effect the issue is solved.

Last time I checked you can still get EQ heads with Magnum intake bolt pattern so all is not lost, it was just the LA manifold bolt pattern that was discontinued for now.

I have a set here that were cracked across the intake and exhaust seat, we replaced the seats in both ports which overlap and in effect the issue is solved.
LA bolt pattern are not discontinued from the last time I spoke to EQ a few weeks ago, its just a different design (more OE replacement as opposed to performance).

The new EQ head looks just like the Speedmaster replacement head for the Magnum....

Dont see the LA bolt pattern head on their website.

I have bought 3 sets of EQ heads over the years or more correctly me 2 and my son 1 set. 1st set about 10 years ago bare worked out great. LA pattern. My son bought some fully dressed ones, LA pattern, OK but had another engine issue and with 6k miles sent them thru machine shop and machinist didn't like what he saw, Im not sure if head issue contributed to his issue or not. this set was ~3 years ago.

I then bought a full dressed set with Magnum pattern, shortly after my son got his/ picked these up myself from EQ Chicago warehouse, this set was JUNK, helped ruin a fresh motor. #4 exhaust stuck open, kissed piston, machine shop said all guides were too tight not just that one, had to pound most valves to get them out.... that set had 6 MILES on it and a couple hours break in/ run time sitting in garage when it got parked. that was my wife's daily, a Durango.

not the 1st set of EQs he has seen with problems. He'd bought a set for a customers engine and had valves sticking on the dyno during break in and basically ruined the whole engine.

My biggest fault there, was waiting 2-1/2 years to dig back into that engine, became my garage ornament because I was PO'd at a job gone bad... had I dug right into it, within the year I bought them, I could have gone after them on warranty.... once I discovered issue, I did a Google search and found out they had lotsa issue son heads in about that timeframe.
They shifted (at least some) production to China, there was a distinguishing feature on the outside of the heads that basically "told" where they were made, I discovered that over the years I bought 1 set of each.... I know my original set that I was so happy with were NZ produced, the problem set, the casting came from China... which pizzed me off, even more.
and I have been told since then, by several, to expect to go thru any set of heads before install whether EQ or Indy or Edelbrock or Dart or whoever.... not what you wanna hear when you just spent big dollars n any new set of heads but I guess it is true.

Can someone tell me... Do the CH318B's bolt right up to an LA318? Do you have to run different pushrods still? any other modifications?

Can someone tell me... Do the CH318B's bolt right up to an LA318? Do you have to run different pushrods still? any other modifications?
They are set up for stud/ magnum rockers so you need to deal with it whatever. I'm pretty sure there's a difference between magnum rollers and LA flat tappets

Do you have the heads already? Asking since the good ones have been out of production for a couple years now. Is your LA engine originally flat tappet lifters or hydraulic roller lifters?
The heads will bolt onto an LA engine. I forget if Magnum head bolts need to be used, but I think one or more are longer on a Magnum so probably yes. They do require Magnum style rocker arms. The lifters need to be capable of oiling through the pushrods and the pushrods need to be hollow. The length of the pushrods will need to be measured to determine the length. The LA block deck height is slightly higher than a Magnum, so even if you had an LA block with factory hydraulic roller lifter, Magnum pushrods may or may not be the correct length.

318 Bs, I thought were Magnum manifold bolt pattern, I thought the As were LA pattern. I could have that backwards? Over the years I've bought 2 sets of the ones with LA manifold bolt pattern, 1 set with Magnum bolt pattern. The heads will bolt onto ALL 318 blocks (except poly) LA and Magnum. the 1st set I bought bare worked out great (LA manifold pattern) the 2nd set, went on my son's 360 in a Ramcharger..... came fully dressed. jury out on that set, he did send them thru the machine shop after he wound up with an oil burner.... fresh complete rebuild at time heads were installed. machine shop did have to do some repairs on them I'm not sure what, or if that work had anything to do with the oil eating. the set I bought fully dressed for my Durango, were definitely pieces of ****. 6 miles on an original Magnum engine, used as a Magnum engine as stock would be in an 01 Durango, and an exhaust valve stuck, got hit by piston and bent. IM not happy.

that 1st set of EQ heads I bought went onto an 83 318 short block in a D250. Original short block as that truck was built. I assembled those myself from leftover parts I accumulated from a couple sets of cracked original Magnum heads. that set I was by far the happiest with of the 3 sets, also the 1st of the 3 sets, that set was bought back around 2010. the oens that stuck a valve were fall '16, the Ramcharger heads were bought somewhere in between but closer to when the 3rd set was bought than when I bought that original set that went on the LA 318 short block. set #2 and set #3 went on 360s, set #2 an LA block, set #3 on a Magnum. converting an LA to use a Magnum head is easy.

Do you have the heads already? Asking since the good ones have been out of production for a couple years now. Is your LA engine originally flat tappet lifters or hydraulic roller lifters?
The heads will bolt onto an LA engine. I forget if Magnum head bolts need to be used, but I think one or more are longer on a Magnum so probably yes. They do require Magnum style rocker arms. The lifters need to be capable of oiling through the pushrods and the pushrods need to be hollow. The length of the pushrods will need to be measured to determine the length. The LA block deck height is slightly higher than a Magnum, so even if you had an LA block with factory hydraulic roller lifter, Magnum pushrods may or may not be the correct length.

I do not have the heads yet.. a friend of a friend has a set that has never been used... I’ll have to find out if my 318 used flat tappet lifters or hydraulic roller... i’m trying to do this in my garage on my own with the engine still in the car... is this going to be a worthy upgrade performance wise on its own? I’m currently running dougs headers, they should bolt up to the magnum heads right?

318 Bs, I thought were Magnum manifold bolt pattern, I thought the As were LA pattern. I could have that backwards? Over the years I've bought 2 sets of the ones with LA manifold bolt pattern, 1 set with Magnum bolt pattern. The heads will bolt onto ALL 318 blocks (except poly) LA and Magnum. the 1st set I bought bare worked out great (LA manifold pattern) the 2nd set, went on my son's 360 in a Ramcharger..... came fully dressed. jury out on that set, he did send them thru the machine shop after he wound up with an oil burner.... fresh complete rebuild at time heads were installed. machine shop did have to do some repairs on them I'm not sure what, or if that work had anything to do with the oil eating. the set I bought fully dressed for my Durango, were definitely pieces of ****. 6 miles on an original Magnum engine, used as a Magnum engine as stock would be in an 01 Durango, and an exhaust valve stuck, got hit by piston and bent. IM not happy.
Part number CH318A is for the magnum intake pattern.
Part number CH318B is for LA intake pattern.
998F431E-DBBB-40C8-BB95-057B225E46EF.jpeg

I do not have the heads yet.. a friend of a friend has a set that has never been used... I’ll have to find out if my 318 used flat tappet lifters or hydraulic roller... i’m trying to do this in my garage on my own with the engine still in the car... is this going to be a worthy upgrade performance wise on its own? I’m currently running dougs headers, they should bolt up to the magnum heads right?
Doug’s header will work. No problem there.
If these are in fact the older version EQ heads that were cast in either Australia or New Zealand then they are a good performance head when properly prepped. Make sure they are NOT the newer Chinese castings as these are no where near as good the previous versions.
You will need to figure out what the entire swap will cost you. Buying the heads, rocker arms, head bolts, pushrods, and having the heads checked by a good machine shop for guide sizing and valve job. If you are changing camshaft or using what you have, they will need to verify the valve springs test out properly too. Only then can you decide if the swap is worth the money it will cost.
I have no idea what valve to piston clearance would be with those heads using stock LA 318 pistons. A lot of that depends on your camshaft and will need to be checked.

Beware of a seller on eBay showing stock available of the CH318B heads, I bought and paid for a set 2 days ago and received an email today saying they are discontinued and they don't have stock. As you can imagine I'm not real happy with them and I have asked for a full refund, we'll see how that goes.
Look out for a David Thomson buying Mopar gear in Australia she is a person of very dark skin from Nigeria .
If you are stuck i have a set of EQ318B bought them about 8 years ago do not have the porting figures were up around 286 on the intake.
Was coming back from a car show & heard a valve ticking opened her up to adjust & I had a valve guide so worn you could fit another valve down the side in getting sleeves put in them at the moment .

On the 1st set of EQ heads I got, and put on a83 D250's original 318 along with a performer intakes(not air gap style) and performer carb, hooker super comp headers and a stock replacement Melling cam for a 70s 360-2 bbl engine and was amazed at how much it woke that engine up. I did use the then available MP "thin" head gaskets, like 0.028" thick as I remember

So, what is the most reliable head to go with on a magnum. Has anyone tried the Monster magnums on ebay? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.

So, what is the most reliable head to go with on a magnum. Has anyone tried the Monster magnums on ebay? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse.
Depends on what you’re trying to do. You said reliable, so I’ll say stock Magnum heads. They’re fine up to about 400 hp. After that port them, and after that, edlebrock aluminum magnums.

Depends on what you’re trying to do. You said reliable, so I’ll say stock Magnum heads. They’re fine up to about 400 hp. After that port them, and after that, edlebrock aluminum magnums.
I rebuilt a low mileage 02 5.9l I added a small cam, header and intake. Nothing crazy.and the hughes spring kit. The heads checked fine. It's for a tow vehicle. An 85 Ramcharger. I haven't swapped motors out yet. But, I don't want to constantly worry about it. If there is a better alternative. I would swap them while on the stand

I rebuilt a low mileage 02 5.9l I added a small cam, header and intake. Nothing crazy.and the hughes spring kit. The heads checked fine. It's for a tow vehicle. An 85 Ramcharger. I haven't swapped motors out yet. But, I don't want to constantly worry about it. If there is a better alternative. I would swap them while on the stand
I would not think twice about using the stock heads in that situation. Good valve job and make sure they’re flat.

-
Back