Erratic fuel gauge

-

smlblk318

Reaction score
Functions as designed when tank is full. Indicated level falls rapidly to 3/4 within 20 miles and reads almost empty after around 80. I know I'm not using that much fuel even with my heavy foot. Sending unit looks newish (I've only had the car for a few years and was always like this) but am thinking of changing it due to them being inexpensive. Is there any adjustments that need to be made when installing a new one? Could I have another problem other than the sending unit?

You likely have an aftermarket sender. They are not designed the same as the original. You will likely not fix the problem by replacing it. There is a device called a meter match that I used to fix mine. Look for fuel or gas gauge (senders) threads on here. There is a lot of info, as this is a common issue.

You likely have an aftermarket sender. They are not designed the same as the original. You will likely not fix the problem by replacing it. There is a device called a meter match that I used to fix mine. Look for fuel or gas gauge (senders) threads on here. There is a lot of info, as this is a common issue.
Correct answer. I also refill gas by mileage.

-
Back