ESPO XHD stock or 1" drop leaf springs

-
I had the 1 inch overbend espo springs in my Duster. Excellent rake. Not like the SS springs. They sat between the stock height and the SS spring height. I always got a compliment on them.

I don’t remember a there pound rate. All I can say is that they road nice and the car stayed straight when I hammered it.
You wouldn't have a pic of that setup would you?

Sorry, I was rolling around my phone and I couldn’t find any other pictures. I may have one or two on the main computer. A wee bit far away right now.

The tire on the ‘73 car is a 205/70/14. That should help some with perspective.
Below is my ‘71 with the (wrong) S/S springs. There actually from my E body.
The tire on those are a 275/60/15. Or about 28 inches. Big difference! LMAO!
The E body had less distance between tire and wheel lip. Just a little.
(And yes, the nose is buried badly. It was later raised just a tad.)

85855B8E-DC72-4C13-82AA-D8E90FDE1696.jpeg

Your 71 with the ss springs looks about like what I have now as far as the distance between the top of the tire and the fender lip. Hard to tell from the pic of your 74, but it looks better.

I had to dig like sparky the fire dog to find the spring rates on GM springs. I just don't get why it's so secret. Coil springs always have their rate available.

It's a real pisser. I'd start by pulling two leafs and see where it sits.

At this point, I sure would like to find a measurement for a stock height reared in a 340 Duster. You would think that info would be available somewhere, but I can't find it. Went through the Mopar chassis book as well as the internet and factory service manual. All I can find is if side to side is more than 3/4" difference, the springs should be replaced.

At this point, I sure would like to find a measurement for a stock height reared in a 340 Duster. You would think that info would be available somewhere, but I can't find it. Went through the Mopar chassis book as well as the internet and factory service manual. All I can find is if side to side is more than 3/4" difference, the springs should be replaced.
Let Me check some old alignment books, I may or may not have ride height specs for that.................................

Dumb question... you did bounce the rear so the shackle goes over center and points backwards? That’ll make them sit high as hell straight off the jackstands.

OK, here goes...........first up a few things to keep in mind;
1) Most factory Mopars had zero to very little rake, the rockers were pretty parallel to the ground.
2) Changes in ride height could easily be the upgrade in tire sizes for some models.
3) This source was the only one to list heights by rocker to ground, and do not give a frt./rear, they DO say these are directly from all the mfrs.
4) None of the other sources list a rear ht. spec below '73, and that spec is from the top of the jacking slot to ground, with a variable range of 2-2.5"....not much help!

'70 Duster 6&8Cpe. / 7.58"
'71 Duster 6cyl.Cpe./ 7.25"
'71 Duster 8cyl.Cpe./ 7.40"
'72 Duster 6cyl.Cpe./ 7.33"
'72 Duster 340 Cpe./ 7.75"
'73 Duster 6&8Cpe./ 7.75"
'73 Duster 340Cpe./ 8.10"
'74 Duster 6&8Cpe./ 7.90"
'74 Duster 360Cpe./ 8.10"

Dumb question... you did bounce the rear so the shackle goes over center and points backwards? That’ll make them sit high as hell straight off the jackstands.
Yep, the shackles are kicked back a bit like they should be. Also removed the Bilstein shocks to be certain they weren't pushing things up.

3) This source was the only one to list heights by rocker to ground, and do not give a frt./rear, they DO say these are directly from all the mfrs.
'70 Duster 6&8Cpe. / 7.58"
'71 Duster 6cyl.Cpe./ 7.25"
'71 Duster 8cyl.Cpe./ 7.40"
'72 Duster 6cyl.Cpe./ 7.33"
'72 Duster 340 Cpe./ 7.75"
'73 Duster 6&8Cpe./ 7.75"
'73 Duster 340Cpe./ 8.10"
'74 Duster 6&8Cpe./ 7.90"
'74 Duster 360Cpe./ 8.10"

Thanks. Where did you find this info? At least this is some kind of reference for me to use. I did end up ordering a new set of factory height 6 leaves from EPSO and should have them in a week or so.

An old JAMCO manual that is with the set-up & instructions for a Hunter Lite-a-Line Alignment machine,.....the specs stop at '74 so One can deduce the vintage,.......
I used that machine until ~ '95-'96 when We replaced it with a Hunter K111..............................................................I still have that one........

-
Back