Estimated Rust Repair Cost? '68 Valiant

-

CallTheRN

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a '68 2dr valiant. I really like the car, it's had an engine, transmission and interior rebuild all within the last 3 years. The 2 big problems I see with it right now are paint and rust. The paint can wait a little while, but there's a rust spot/hole in the passenger side lower corner of the read window, and some minor rust low in the rear quarters.

What's do you think is a ballpark estimate for the window repair? Or would you not even touch it with cancer in that spot? And what about the cost for each quarter?

I'm trying to figure out a fair price to counter with, I appreciate the help!
Thanks!

Parts are reasonable. If you do it yourself the labor is free. Pics would be nice.

Rear window repair
1 hour to pull window & trim
3 HRS -DA area to remove paint to determine damage
1 HR -cut out rust area -they don't reproduce this area for A-bodies
You would have to cut that section out of another car and weld it in
10 hrs-weld in , grind welds, filler , sealer, sand prime and paint to install back window.
So-15 hours @ $75 per hour +$1125 labor + material & paint $1500 to $1800 for the rear window fix alone

The lower 1/4 repair Parts are about $250 for lower patch panel and inner trunk extension and total another $1200 to fix

For less than the cost of paying for repairs you could get a small welder and do it yourself. Not a body guy? neither am I but I tried it anyway. The exact same areas were rotted out on my car so I took the plunge. Try it you'll be glad/proud that you did.

Take it to a body shop and get an estimate. That's the only real way.

Take it to a body shop and get an estimate. That's the only real way.

Take it to several reputable shops. Ask other car guys/gals about reputable shops in your area.

Better yet as others have mentioned, buy yourself a gas MIG welder and jump in and learn to do it yourself.

must be why we learn to do this stuff ourselves???????????????????

Damn right. Horror story after horror story.

Get busy with the death wheel and teach yourself something useful...Not paying somebody else to do YOUR work.

So, if I remember correctly, you are looking to get into your first Mopar..? Be sure the advice in this thread is valid - getting your hands dirty leads to a certain sense of satisfaction that you simply cannot buy. That said - it is expensive and can take years just to be "tooled up" (unless you're wealthy) enough to tackle some of the more complicated aspects of auto reconditioning.. body work is one of those aspects. Just because you've welded the patch panel(s) on there, certainly doesn't mean you're done - in fact, cutting up the old and welding in the new is, in some ways, the easy part - though certainly not easy. Got a good air compressor? You're going to need it for properly cutting out the old metal.. then for sanding with a DA - spraying primer, spraying paint.. etc. etc..
How about SPACE - space where you can leave the car for weeks on end while you work and learn and screw up and rework and learn more.. sorry guys, it's just not as easy as 'buy a welder and get after it'.. not at all. And also why it is expensive to have someone else do the work for you. NOT TRYING TO TALK YOU OUT OF THIS - just want you to be aware of the $$ you are looking at spending - either way. That "cancer" up by the window is a pecker to fix - tread lightly as it can also be just the tip of the proverbial iceberg..
Hey guys,

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a '68 2dr valiant. I really like the car, it's had an engine, transmission and interior rebuild all within the last 3 years. The 2 big problems I see with it right now are paint and rust. The paint can wait a little while, but there's a rust spot/hole in the passenger side lower corner of the read window, and some minor rust low in the rear quarters.

What's do you think is a ballpark estimate for the window repair? Or would you not even touch it with cancer in that spot? And what about the cost for each quarter?

I'm trying to figure out a fair price to counter with, I appreciate the help!
Thanks!

That red ride is gorgeous...

I loved the green scamp, but didn't want to deal with quite as much rust as it had. I think I'm going to save a few more pennies and look at something this summer or over the winter...maybe then I'll have a nurse's budget, instead of a nursing student's budget. lol.

-
Back